JNDI datasource in Tomcat 4.0 (no GlobalNamingResources tag)

From: GIMME (gimme_this_gimme_that_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/07/03

Date: 6 Oct 2003 17:52:17 -0700

Where I'm at ...

I've configured Tomcat 4.0.3 to run an application using a JNDI DataSource.

The server.xml file defines a Context, then a Resource, and then ResourceParameters.

What I'd like to do ...

I'd like to define a global datasource.

To my suprise, tomcat-4.0.3 doesn't support the GlobalNamingResources tag.
(Well if it does it doesn't appear in the sample server.xml file that
comes out of the box with 4.0.3 and I must have did something wrong.)

What I've done ...

Under the Server tag I tried adding a Resource tag (and then a
ResourceParameters tag) but that didn't work. Ah ... the tomcat log
files seems to define the JNDI resource OK, but the application can't
find it.)

I also trying the 4.1 route using a GlobalNamingResource tag - but
the same thing happened.

Why I'm doing this ...

It's important that I actually use a global JNDI DataSource because
I'm running tomcat as a servlet container for a portal software package
and the portal software package does not use a Tomcat Context tag.

In summary ...

How do you define a Global JNDI Datasource in Tomcat 4.0.x
(where you can't use GlobalNamingResources tag)?

Thanks