Re: does oracle connection equal one row in v$sessions?

From: Turkbear (john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com)
Date: 10/16/03

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:52:27 -0500

Depending on how the application determines connections, it may not be counting those sessions used by background processes.
Like:
  1* select username from v$session
SQL> /

USERNAME
------------------------------

MARA1JAN

ABB

WAREHOUSE

USERNAME
------------------------------
DBAHELP
LEUR1DUA
KOES1MAR
WMSREPORT
WMSREPORT
REPORTER

17 sessions, just 9 user sessions...

Joseph Weinstein <bigdog@bea.com> wrote:

>Brian Peasland wrote:
>
>> Depending on your configuration, you could both be right. Are you using
>> dedicated server connections or Shared Server connections? In dedicated
>> server, there is a one-to-one correspondance. In a Shared Server
>> configuration, there is a many-to-one correspondance. And it is possible
>> to employ a mixture of the two. You'll have to determine your
>> configuration to know.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Brian
>
>Thanks! For me to be clear, with shared server connections, an application
>that makes and closes JDBC connections, may at some point think it has
>N currently open connections, bu the DBMS V$Session view will show
>more sessions? (N+M)? I would have assumed that shared meant many-to-one
>the other way, such that multiple logically distinct application connections
>might share a single DBMS session...
>TIA
>Joe
>

>> Joseph Weinstein wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi. I am remotely debugging a multi-user (JDBC) application, connecting
>> > via the thin driver to Oracle. The customer is assuming that there is a
>> > one-to-one relationship between connections to the DBMS and rows in
>> > the V$SESSIONS, yet the applicaiton seems to think there are fewer
>> > connections than the rows in V$SESSIONS. Who is right here?
>> > thanks
>> > Joe
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian Peasland
>> dba@remove_spam.peasland.com
>>
>> Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
>>
>> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
>> the three"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: maximum number of sessions
    ... I am interested in the maximum number of sessions not connections. ... I.e I can have 15 mapped drives from one machine to ... We have 6 pcs connecting to a 7 pc we call our server. ...
  • RE: Multiple entries of the same user under "Current Sessions"
    ... FTP clients, or through the command-line? ... you may well see multiple entries in the 'current sessions' list that ... several sessions open simultaneously.) ... I will see 2 connections, ...
  • Re: Exchange 2003 SMTP Current Sessions
    ... Also, I was asking really about the SMTP sessions themselves, long before ... Use a RBL if you must, but pick the one you use with care. ... RBLs don't block spam, they block connections. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: shared printer WinXP Workgroup
    ... Use the following method to avoid null session connections that have a high session idle time and that have opened a handle to the named pipe \PIPE\spoolss. ... "John John" wrote: ... To kill all the sessions at once you can stop the server service These are pretty crude and inconvenient ways of trying to cope with the problem. ...
  • Re: tcp connection limit exceeded msgs
    ... During a normal day we have up to 220 sessions, maybe 30-50 jobs running. ... 95% of the sessions are network vt-mgr connections. ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)