Re: JDBC for sql server: delays experienced when using Connection.prepareCall()

From: Anthony (anthony_at_jayasekera.net)
Date: 05/14/04

Date: 14 May 2004 01:46:39 -0700

Thanks greatly Joe. The selectMethod=cursor property setting solved
my prepareCall problems. I am still getting the delay on creating the
connection but this is a hit I am willing to accept. I am only
actively loading one jdbc driver so unless some others are loaded by
default this shouldn't be the cause of the problem. It is probably a
network issue of the type you describe.

To everyone else out there, I'd just like to say that Joe replyed to
this posting within a couple of hours. Pretty danm good considering
the issue has nothing directly to do with a BEA product.

BEA rulez!!!

Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM@bea.com> wrote in message news:<40A24E79.5090204@bea.com>...

> Hi. Two things:
> What MS jdbc driver are you using? If it's MS's free type-4 driver
> try adding the property selectMethod=cursor. That should help with
> the delay with subsequent statements.
> Also, how many drivers are registered with DriverManager? DriverManager
> has to blindly pass your URL and properties to every driver it knows
> about till it finds one that doesn't throw an exception and returns a
> connection. This could take some time with lots of drivers.
> However, it sounds like a DNS lookup problem with the DBMS machine
> name you're giving in the URL.
> Joe Weinstein at BEA

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Connections not closing?
    ... > Where getConnection() does the normal DriverManager call and closeConnectionjust ensures that the passed connection object is not null before trying to close it. ... I would record or print out the spid, and whenever I closed a connection I would ... be the driver itself pooling connections. ... Joe Weinstein at BEA ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver)
  • Re: McCain supporters have stopped posting poll results?
    ... level and expose Joe Biden for what he and his family are? ... kept lying about it for 6 years when it wasn't the other drivers fault. ... Just because no charges we ever brought against the driver does not mean ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: use "template" in C
    ... When I was at a Driver DevCon some years ago, I asked "Isn't it about time we should be ... work in the kernel, but it involved some significant compiler changes (most of them ... paper came from someone's analysis of all the things that had gone wrong once programmers ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: The COMMIT TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
    ... Joe has a great handle on this now I believe that this is a good time ... Old driver: when you call conn.Commitwe send to the server "IF ... when you call conn.Commitwe send to the server "COMMIT TRAN" ... Yanping Wang wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver)
  • Re: Arcron (type 27) driver users needed
    ... Joe sent be a receiver and I have finally verified it works sorta. ... It took a couple of weeks before it found WWVB, ... When it first came up ntpq reported it as working, but after a couple of minutes the driver aparently went into a loops and stayed there. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)