Re: MySQL JDBC driver - implications for non-GPLed apps

From: John Beardmore (wookie_at_wookie.demon.co.uk)
Date: 05/21/04

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 20:30:48 +0100

In message <c84p9l$617$05$1@news.t-online.com>, Carl Rosenberger
<carl@db4o.com> writes

>"(Ab)using the legal system for personal profit", isn't that
>what capitalism is all about?

I thought it was about being able to sell your goods / services in an
open market at the going rate.

But since when was the GPL about capitalism ? And for that matter, all
though what goes around tends to come around, why should a capitalist
ethos have to drive the GPL, and why must the GPL be interpreted in a
capitalist light ?

I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I can see the GPL imposes a license to
use agreed items of software in a particular way.

I'm not sure that it is generally seen as a template - rather as
something that you release under or not.

It you want to base your own license n the GPL, that may be all well and
good, but your derivative work won't be the GPL.

Cheers, J/.

--
John Beardmore

Relevant Pages

  • Re: modernization of FORTH, Age Results
    ... GPL is not about copyright. ... If software is GPL-ed you get certain rights that nobody can take ... supports entrepreneur capitalism ... who was willing to pay to get modifications done to a proprietary ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: GPL [Was: CarrierIQ Software and Forth]
    ... Capitalism is about free markets and competition. ... When the majority of employers don't understand that the market is ... locating the original authors and so too will GPL. ... Freedom always is limited by the freedom of others. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: East Asian O/S
    ... > ..cheer up, that would mean whoever chooses GPL, wins over the BSD- ... for exactly the same reason Capitalism won over Communism: ... like the farm animals in Orwell's Animal Farm, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: OT: Politics
    ... goods would be thoroughly unnatural in the days people lived in caves. ... Small children know money is a 'value' ... Does Capitalism work well for people on low incomes who have little ... When I retire my social security check will be about 1/16 th the size ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Capital Includes Goods in Stock - NOT!
    ... > But a computer is a production tool. ... >>of consumer goods. ... When you impede progress by hoarding gold or money and then asking ... would be called _real_ capitalism. ...
    (sci.econ)