Accessing a database and GUI Components

From: Wolfgang Eibner (wolfgang.eibner_at_aon.at)
Date: 05/23/04

    Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:50:22 +0200

    Hello!

    I've the following question:

    Which technology would you use for a "medium size" application that consists
    of a lot of tables, lists and forms for showing and editing customers, bills
    and so on? The database is a Postgresql-DB and the application should be
    implemented as a normal Swing-Client and not as Webservice.

    - pure JDBC and self-developed/filled Swing-Components: Does anyone use this
    in fact of the high effort?
    - prepared components (Oracle JDeveloper, Borland JBuilder): Are these
    components/tools compatible with the Postgresql-DB? How simply are they to
    use (especially for complex tables/lists)?
    - Java-Objects (via a persistency-layer) and standard Swing-Components:
    Which layer should be used (JDO, Hibernate,...)? Can these objects be used
    in Swing-Components easily (also especially for tabels)?

    The development should be backed by tools which avoid manual programming and
    configuration. And another goal of course is a rapid development.

    Thanks for your replies and excuse me if my English is not so good because
    i'm from Austria.

    Yours,
    Wolfgang