Re: JDBC thin Drivers for MS Access (no ODBC), any freeware, opensource available?

David Segall wrote:
conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Jul 15, 9:48 am, David Segall <da...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lew <l...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Then of course there's the fact that Access is a very weak database engine.
Very weak. Why not use Derby (Java DB) or Postgres or any of the host of
actually worthy, free RDBMSes that actually work?
Access is unsurpassed as a multi-database front end for application
programming.
I worded that very badly partly because I thought that "database front
end" meant a tool used to examine databases like SQL Workbench or IBM
Data Studio. A web search showed me that the term can mean anything at
all. The multi-database part was because Access can be used with any
database that has an ODBC driver. The "application programming" part
was to distinguish it from tools that can be used to administer a
database.

The current conversation is about using Java to connect to Access as a back end, so any benefits of Access as a front end are not relevant.

--
Lew

  • Re: JDBC thin Drivers for MS Access (no ODBC), any freeware, opensource available?
    ... database that has an ODBC driver. ... The "application programming" part ... I agree with you according to your perfectly reasonable interpretation ... Since the OP posted in a Java group we can ...
    (comp.lang.java.databases)
  • Re: Display image from database
    ... I am familiar with accessing information from a database server ... I'd suggest that you get hold of a couple of the books in the O'Reilly ... Java programming series. ... There's a book on database programming which is ...
    (comp.lang.java.databases)
  • Re: estalish a specific career path in programming
    ... Database and .Net overlap quite a bit, especially with regards to SQL Server ... If C# is similar to Java, ... I am interested in programming in all ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Theres got to be a better way
    ... I work with annoyingly complex database tables whose structure ... Programming is all about reinventing the wheel. ... But we're still writing code must like we did 40 years ago. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Use Jesus Christ
    ... > programming until very recently. ... >, but I've occasionally tried to understand Smalltalk ... In Java I've mostly been limited to server-side ... Object oriented design is a mental picture of objects and messages. ...
    (comp.object)