Re: getScaledInstance for BufferedImage.

From: Roedy Green (
Date: 05/13/04

Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:22:39 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 2004 06:56:23 GMT, Roedy Green
<> wrote or quoted :

>getScaledInstance produces an Image out of my BufferedImage.
>It does not produced a BufferedImage I can simply cast.
>What is the best to way to either convert it back to a BufferedImage
>or to get myself a scaled BufferedImage?

After some horsing around here is what appears to work, but my choice
of type TYPE_INT_BGR was arbitrary. It seems goofy to change from
JPEG to bit map to convert back to JPEG map gain.

 // magnify which has side effect of turning back to plain Image.
Image magnifiedImage
  = image.getScaledInstance( magnifiedImageWidth,

 // convert back to BufferedImage
BufferedImage bufferedImage = new BufferedImage (

                        magnifiedImage, 0, 0, this /* observer */ );

// write out the BufferedImage as a JPEG
ImageIO.write( bufferedImage,
                        "JPEG" /* format desired */ ,
                         file );

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.