Swing vs. SWT

From: Jim McMaster (jim.mcmaster_at_comcast.net)
Date: 12/31/04

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:55:53 -0600

I am about to start a new job, developing and maintaining Java GUI
apps. The company currently has two applications in SWT, and one with
Swing. They want to pick one GUI toolkit and stick with it.

I have quite a bit of experience with Swing, and I am familiar with its
pros and cons. I know a lot less about SWT, but I like what I have
read about it.

My new boss is asking for a recommendation on picking Swing vs. SWT.
The advantages of the former are:

- The other GUI developer and I already know it
- The boss has found it easier to hire developers with Swing experience

The advantages of the latter are:

- One app to convert rather than two
- Somewhat better perceived performance

I probably am firing the opening shot in a religious war, but I am
asking for the group's opinions on which toolkit I should recommend for
the long haul.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jim McMaster
mailto:jim.mcmaster@comcast.net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Swing vs. SWT
    ... SWT/JFace for developing GUIs. ... SWT is easier to learn + allows for both traditional development as the ... if Swing would have been at least 'good enough', ... > I am about to start a new job, developing and maintaining Java GUI ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)
  • Re: New to Java couple ?s
    ... SWT and Swing are two of the technologies that you can use to develop ... GUI applications in Java. ... There's not a lot of Java GUI development out there in the first place. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Java GUI Entwicklung - womit?
    ... > GUI unter Eclipse mit SWT zu erstellen. ... Weil, ganz ehrlich, GUI ... > Entwicklung unter Java / Eclipse ist ein Krampf. ... Swing stellt meiner Meinung nach einen ganz guten Komprmiss zwischen ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)
  • Re: SWING/GUI
    ... > I am not new to programming, but new to GUI development. ... You could use Swing, which is the default GUI library that comes with Java. ... You could also use SWT, a GUI library developed by IBM as an alternative to ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • comp.lang.java.gui FAQ
    ... Q1.3 There are so many Java FAQs. ... Q1.4 Does Sun support or endorse this FAQ? ... Q3.2 How do I update the GUI from another thread? ... Q4.2 What is the Swing single-threading issue? ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)