Swing vs. SWT

From: Jim McMaster (jim.mcmaster_at_comcast.net)
Date: 12/31/04

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:55:53 -0600

I am about to start a new job, developing and maintaining Java GUI
apps. The company currently has two applications in SWT, and one with
Swing. They want to pick one GUI toolkit and stick with it.

I have quite a bit of experience with Swing, and I am familiar with its
pros and cons. I know a lot less about SWT, but I like what I have
read about it.

My new boss is asking for a recommendation on picking Swing vs. SWT.
The advantages of the former are:

- The other GUI developer and I already know it
- The boss has found it easier to hire developers with Swing experience

The advantages of the latter are:

- One app to convert rather than two
- Somewhat better perceived performance

I probably am firing the opening shot in a religious war, but I am
asking for the group's opinions on which toolkit I should recommend for
the long haul.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jim McMaster