Re: SWT and Applets?

Thanks for the quick answer!

hello,

applets are supposed to be cross platform.
swt is not, it will need compiled binaries depending on platform.
and the java plugin with browser is not always as friendly
as the main java jre when installing extensions.

but webstart is made for that,
you can even specify what binary files must be given to the client
depending on platform.

but swt is not compiled for every platform/window manager,
and you client will have a lot of files to download.

paul.

Bernhard Volz wrote:

Hi!

I wonder if it is possible to use SWT in an applet. Does anybody know something about this (if possible with a good link which I coudln't find with google :-) ?

Bernhard

  • Re: SWT and Applets?
    ... it will need compiled binaries depending on platform. ... and the java plugin with browser is not always as friendly ... I wonder if it is possible to use SWT in an applet. ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)
  • Re: Darth Vader Javelins
    ... finding a way of enlarging SWT to 10car trains. ... the DC version of a multi system platform - 334s are the AC version. ... Any other HS1 safety need could be incorporated along with this work. ... them after Olympics as 25 kV ''express'' units to LM and release ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP)
    ... witness with say Swing applications - with SWT, platform UI widgets are used directly. ... I also thought that Swing vs SWT impacted only the user interaction/UI refresh speed and not the app startup time. ... I've got my own update manager that I'm using at the moment so I haven't looked into this. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • That Station at Waterloo International then.....
    ... has been confirmed that SWT will have use of at least platform 20, ... what happens with the concourse, travel centre, former security areas ... Would it make sense for SWT to use the old ticket office ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Java programming questions
    ... One of the great things about Java is that it has a number of widget sets - AWT, Swing, SWT - which all take platform-agnostic widgets and render them in a way which is just sufficiently different from the host platform to be painful. ... So you learn to live with that, or you go out of your way to do platform-specific native code calls. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)