Re: Networked version of Swing (X windows style)?

Thanks for the pointers, I will take a look at them.

Anyway the idea was to avoid having to install VNC, X11 or any other
product, as they have their own drawbacks. For example VNC transfers
bitmaps instead of GUI primitives, which makes it much slower.

The proposed approach has several advantages:
- Faster than VNC or, from what you say, than X11
- Smaller and cheaper
- Totally independent of client and server OS (that is the biggest
advantage)

The big disadvantage, of course, is that it would only be able to run
Java Swing applications.

Regards,
Luis.

  • Re: Remote access to Unix desktop
    ... PC, I use the VNC client, which works fine. ... X11 is an optional install from the installation DVD. ... First use a terminal emulator and ssh to the Unix system for any ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Networked version of Swing (X windows style)?
    ... > Anyway the idea was to avoid having to install VNC, ... For example VNC transfers ... If you don't install X11 on a UNIX/Linux system, ... > Java Swing applications. ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)
  • Re: SSH Tunnel oder VPN?
    ... Server X11 drauf wo ich mich dann mit NoMachine oder VNC drauf ... sofern du bei dir einen lokalen X-Server laufen hast. ... Wobei ich mich natürlich jetzt frage, warum es VNC gibt wenn das von Dir geschilderte einfacher ist. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.networking.misc)
  • Re: Restart des VNC-Servers beendet alle =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=BCber?= ihn =?UTF-8?Q?ge=C3=B6ffn
    ... Problem, daß dabei auch alle Applikationen, die über den VNC geöffnet worden ... Server-Prozessen, die über den VNC-Viewer remote gestartet worden waren, ... Z.B. indem man kein VNC verwendet, sondern statt dessen X11 ueber ssh ... den Remote-Zugang nicht per VNC sondern per X11 zu machen. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Enabling VNC
    ... >> I think what you are looking for is how to control your console X11 ... if not I can use a VNC client. ... which other "Sections" make up your X server. ... vncserver service puts a user's password file, but this is for the root ...
    (Fedora)