Q: java garbage collection

From: Walter Mitty (no_at_no.com)
Date: 10/14/03

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:16:00 +0200

Could someone explain the thinking behind not having a defined methodology
in java for garbage collection cleanup?

Considering the effort that has gone into defining Java I find it hard to
believe that the garbage collection guarentees nothing. Making, in one
stroke, Java useless for any time critical systems.

The current situation is simply : It does the clean up IF it wants it, when
it wants, if at all. The programmer can only suggest a clean up.

--
Walter Mitty.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Q: java garbage collection
    ... A lot of effort has been put into Garbage Collection. ... java -verbose:gc YourClassName ... Any particular reason why you want it to perform cleanup when you want it? ... You don't pay to get spam, why pay to clean it? ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: C is too old? opinions?
    ... Is Java used for real-time systems. ... Go on then - I would like to know how garbage collection affects ... A good reason, showing thought and reason. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: MF having issues?
    ... I've heard from Java advocates that because it's very common in Java to write a program in which you create and quickly throw away objects, many implementations of Java are heavily optimized for this kind of usage. ... I've read some articles about garbage collection algorithms -- generative garbage collectors do in fact keep track of "how old" objects are, and do some optimizations to be able to quickly recycle younger objects -- so I can confirm that a lot of thought was actually put into the issue. ... Well so far as COBOL is concerned, one of the next to be published by J4is "Finalizer" a TR on garbage collection. ... finalize those internal objects and then the Dialog itself - Gonzo! ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Java equivalent of C++ Spirit or Boost Graph Library ?
    ... Chris warns me about the difficulty of learning Java. ... Mc Carthy created Lisp and Garbage Collection too. ... C programmers get significantly worse performance by rolling their own. ... regular-expression libraries or scanners (such as ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: why kernel in C
    ... people should be aware that garbage collection does not imply ... doing GC like Java does it (and requires coding style, ... to code in several GC language implementations (like eg Ocaml and some ... (but requires a very particular coding style). ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)