Re: JVM For windows

From: Andrew Thompson (SeeMySites_at_www.invalid)
Date: 03/09/04

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:43:30 GMT

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:57:48 +0000, Mark Preston wrote:

> Fountain of knowledge wrote:
>> [snip] I want the smallest download without the
>> clutter. Only MS provided that. The MS download was 5mb. The Sun
>> one is 14mb.
>>
> The Sun provided JRE for Java 1.4.02 is precisely 1.413 Mb. I make that
> a whole TEN TIMES SMALLER than the Microsft version.

I suspect your values are in error Mark.
Figures for rt.jar's either side of 1.4.0
I have handy show the following sizes..

1.3.1 - 11,646,454 bytes
1.4.2_02 - 26,429,417 bytes

14 Meg sounds about right for 1.4.0.

Mind you, as I pointed out earlier,
the 1.1.8 VM* was much smaller than
the MS effort.

* Which is a fair comparison, given
that the MS 'J'VM never went beyond 1.1

As an aside, I was checking download sizes
of plug-ins recently and found that the
MS .NET plug-in was 27 Meg at the time,
and the latest Sun 1.5 beta rt.jar is
..31,971,302 bytes!

[ And note, these are the rt.jar files
which only contain the core classes, I
checked them using WinZip. ]

--
Andrew Thompson

  • Offline Patching
    ... I have been tasked with setting up a closed network of RedHat systems. ... automates Sun patching somewhat) and some little scripts I wrote (for ... Download the cross reference file from Sun (list of all available ... Use PCA to download all the patches that are required for the Sun ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: spyware pop up
    ... Since the version 6 of the Sun JRE does not support W98se, ... Do you know if anyone has actually tried the manual download on W98se? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: A jihad on the Hobbyist programme ?
    ... We start telling popular news sites about it, make the CDs available for ... developers can freely download quality Sun operating systems and compliers. ... With regard to my other thread "Sun Studio 11 " I should point out that every Spring since 2003, I have been downloading and installing both Fedora Core (a.k.a. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Is Sun sincere about encouraging new Solaris users?
    ... run by an OS that was downloaded via bittorrent. ... Sun is providing a service that, in the end costs them money, free as ... The images are signed and the cost is time to download. ... Linux users seem to dump distros after the Nix exposure and ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Is Sun sincere about encouraging new Solaris users?
    ... of installation CDs that mostly wound up not even being used for the ... BitTorrent is just a file transfer protocol, and it is of course up to ... Sun to validate the downloaded files. ... on everything being a secure download from their own website. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)