Re: What is the difference between J2SE "Standard Edition" and J2EE "Enterprise Edition" ?

From: Andy Fish (ajfish_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:17:58 GMT

they are two completely different things with similar names

j2se "is" java i.e. it's the sdk or the runtime or whatever, to run standard
java programs. you can't do anything without that.

J2EE is a collection of java based standards and packages to do with
developing server side enterprise applications. for instance, servlets and
RMI. These pieces are not built into the basic java but sit on top of it, so
you can't compare the two

so you will always need j2se. if you're working with server side (often web
related) applications you may well need J2EE as well.

j2me (mobile edition) on the other hand, does not sit on top of j2se, it's a
cut down version, so it would be sensible to compare j2me with j2se

HTH

Andy