Re: What is the difference between J2SE "Standard Edition" and J2EE "Enterprise Edition" ?

From: Andy Fish (ajfish_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:17:58 GMT

they are two completely different things with similar names

j2se "is" java i.e. it's the sdk or the runtime or whatever, to run standard
java programs. you can't do anything without that.

J2EE is a collection of java based standards and packages to do with
developing server side enterprise applications. for instance, servlets and
RMI. These pieces are not built into the basic java but sit on top of it, so
you can't compare the two

so you will always need j2se. if you're working with server side (often web
related) applications you may well need J2EE as well.

j2me (mobile edition) on the other hand, does not sit on top of j2se, it's a
cut down version, so it would be sensible to compare j2me with j2se

HTH

Andy

"Anan H. Samiti" <anan22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I go to the web site e.g.
> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download-dr.html
> the two versions are offered for download but I found nowhere an table
comparing the features
> of the both releases. Could someone explain me the differences?
>
> Anan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Java training advice
    ... > I'm a mainframe programmer teaching myself Java. ... J2SE is if you want to program standalone applications. ... J2EE is a framework for creating applications that exist in an Enterprise ... configured for any number of databases. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • J2SE 5.0 Source Code Bundles Now Available
    ... J2SE 5.0 Source Code Bundles Now Available ... SCSL and the new and exciting Java Research license! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Seeking some advice and/or pointers as to getting into web-based java application dev using
    ... but the fact that Tomcat was written in Java isn't very ... num 1 language within num 3 framework. ... Yeap, IDE, the term slipped away from me. ... they become comfortable with J2SE, they can move on to J2EE. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: comparing java & c#
    ... do you know you have to pay Sun royalties if you run a Java app ... Point is that royalties apply not only to J2ME, which is the Java ... edition normally found in cell phones, but also to embedded usage of ... As for devices whose vendors might want to run J2SE instead of ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: Question about Java 1.5 and AIX
    ... Is Java 5 found in the IBM website for AIX the same as Java 1.5? ... and Sun calls the standard "J2SE 5.0": ... Paul Landay ...
    (comp.unix.aix)