Re: How do I change the application Symbol?

From: Tom (tom.cowdery_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: 03/16/04

Date: 16 Mar 2004 11:25:47 -0800

robert_janetzko@web.de (RJ) wrote in message news:<389d0d46.0403160358.78824862@posting.google.com>...
> I'm creating an application with Borland JBuilder and want to change
> the symbol of the created applicion, you see in windows explorer, how
> can I do this.
> I can only change the window icon with jFrame1.setIcon(icon);

The short answer is that you can't.

However, there are a couple of workarounds that work on Windows. I'm
sure that there are others that work on Mac and still others that work
on the various Linux desktops (KDE, GNome, etc.).

a. You could create a batch file to start your program. Windows will
allow batch files to have custom icons.

b. You could put all of your files in an executable jar file, then
create a shortcut to the jar file. Shortcuts can have custom icons.

c. There are commercial products that will wrap up a Java application
in a native executable, which can have its own icon. I've never used
one, but I'm told they are quite costly and don't really have much
benefit beyond letting you apply the custom icon.