Re: How do I change the application Symbol?

From: Tom (tom.cowdery_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: 03/16/04

Date: 16 Mar 2004 11:25:47 -0800

robert_janetzko@web.de (RJ) wrote in message news:<389d0d46.0403160358.78824862@posting.google.com>...
> I'm creating an application with Borland JBuilder and want to change
> the symbol of the created applicion, you see in windows explorer, how
> can I do this.
> I can only change the window icon with jFrame1.setIcon(icon);

The short answer is that you can't.

However, there are a couple of workarounds that work on Windows. I'm
sure that there are others that work on Mac and still others that work
on the various Linux desktops (KDE, GNome, etc.).

a. You could create a batch file to start your program. Windows will
allow batch files to have custom icons.

b. You could put all of your files in an executable jar file, then
create a shortcut to the jar file. Shortcuts can have custom icons.

c. There are commercial products that will wrap up a Java application
in a native executable, which can have its own icon. I've never used
one, but I'm told they are quite costly and don't really have much
benefit beyond letting you apply the custom icon.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NorthwindOleDb CoCreateIntance (VS2005/SQLMobile)
    ... I still have not approached SQL Mobile with the C++ compiler in VS 2005, but I hope the Consumer Templates in ATL 8.0 will work right out of ... It'd be easier for me to do this twiddling structs in a Palm PDB file then having to go through the ATL/OLE ringer....It just seems like a big step back given the emergence of and burgeoning popularity of PDA apps.......bring back ADOCE or support ODBC; I'm not interested in and shouldn't have to become a ATL template developer to access a structured database and likewise shouldn't be forced to use .Net if it isn't appropriate for my ... The original sample did not build for Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce)
  • Re: Icon customization
    ... Ramesh, Microsoft MVP ... Windows XP Shell/User ... I have many items on my desktop to which I've assigned custom icons ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Adding custom icons to the command bar of ie7 on Win2k8?
    ... I seem to be able to run almost everything I can with Windows ... XP but I can't figure out how to add my custom icons back to the toolbar in ... I have registry files I click on and it creates the shortcut I want - i.e. ... command bar in ie - they don't show. ...
  • Adding custom icons to the command bar of ie7 on Win2k8?
    ... I seem to be able to run almost everything I can with Windows ... XP but I can't figure out how to add my custom icons back to the toolbar in ... I have registry files I click on and it creates the shortcut I want - i.e. ... command bar in ie - they don't show. ...
  • Re: Start Menu dispays a black screen
    ... The pinned shortcut to my Downloads folder -- works when clicked. ... Windows asks if I want to create a shortcut on desktop. ... If you have the very latest video drivers - downloaded from the video ... card mftr.'s site (unlikely to be the ones on the CD included with the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)