JDB on Linux

From: Alexandre C. Godinho (acottag_at_mail.telepac.pt)
Date: 04/03/04

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:59:29 +0100

Hello!

I'm starting to program in Java on Linux (SuSE 8.2) using latest stable
SUN SDK - v1.4.2, but I still could not make use of JDB tool for
debbuging in a separate VM, by calling directly JDB; as somehow a newbie
to Java as well, it seems that the debugging tool is a most valuable
tool. The error sequence is included bellow.

I searched in Sun's forums and it seems the use of JDB tool has been, or
was, an issue until recent time. I wasn't able to conclude if the
problem was already solved in SDK v.1.4.2_03.

In the use of the included JDB doesn't work properly, does anyone knows
if NETBEANS or even a SUN commercial IDE does support proper debugging
aids ?

Thanks in advance !!

%jdb plum.java
> Initializing jdb ...
> run
VM start exception: VM initialization failed for:
/home/acottag/Java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/bin/java -Xdebug -Xnoagent
-Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=Aldebaran:1029,suspend=y plum.java

Error [101] in connect() call!
err:: Network is unreachable
Socket transport failed to init.
Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, rc = -1.
FATAL ERROR in native method: No transports initialized