UnknownHostException on Japanese Windows XP - Please Help!!!

From: Dave Raskin (draskin_at_rimage.com)
Date: 04/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:17:50 -0500

Hello,

I am running the following code on Japanese Windows XP:

String localHostName = java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName();

If the Computer name is in English, this works fine.

If the Computer name is in Japanese, I get an UnknownHostException in
InetAddress.java, line 1191.

If I run this same code on a Japanese Windows 2K, with a Japanese computer
name, it works fine.

I tried 3 different JREs: 1.3.1_11, 1.4.2_01, and 1.4.2._04 - same result.
This seems to be a difference between Windows 2K and XP.

I searched the web and the forums and I can't see any reference to this
specific problem. Is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Raskin
draskin@rimage.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: install Office MUI on a Japanese Windows platform
    ... will I change the IE menu from Japanese to English? ... My purpose is show English menu,dialog message and help message in a ... Japese Version IE 6 with Japanese Windows Server 2003. ... Can I do it after install Office English Edition with Multilanguage ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
[...]
  • Re: MFC application textbox input overflow on Japanese Windows 2000
    ... I print out the font as follow: ... LOGFONT lf; ... Now on both English and japanese Windows, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)