Re: java.net.BindException on Mac OS 10.3.4

From: Mike Baranczak (mbaranczak_at__REMOVE_THIS_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: 06/01/04

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:40:48 GMT

In article <c9ids6$e77$1@news.apple.com>,
 Peter Ammon <peter_ammon@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Mike Baranczak wrote:
>
> > I have a strange problem which I only noticed today. I can't open a
> > server socket at all using Java. I always get a BindException, even when
> > I know for a fact that the port is not in use. This only affects Java
> > apps; Apache is working fine, so's CVS, and I can listen on any port I
> > want with netcat.
> >
> > This seems to affect all Java programs, not just the ones I wrote. Those
> > same programs were working fine just a few days ago (I have both JBoss
> > and Jetty installed, but most of the time they're not running.)
> >
> > Could this have anything to do with the latest OS update?
> >
> > -MB
>
> If a program is messily terminated, I believe Mac OS X will prevent any
> app from listening on the same port for a while, to avoid receiving
> stale data.

Except that this affected ALL the ports I tried. And like I said, it
only affected Java - those same ports worked with netcat.

This problem went away after rebooting, and I haven't been able to
duplicate it. I'll just put this one down as bad network mojo.

-MB

Relevant Pages

  • Re: java.net.BindException on Mac OS 10.3.4
    ... > I know for a fact that the port is not in use. ... This only affects Java ... > This seems to affect all Java programs, not just the ones I wrote. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: java.net.BindException on Mac OS 10.3.4
    ... > I know for a fact that the port is not in use. ... This only affects Java ... > This seems to affect all Java programs, not just the ones I wrote. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • java.net.BindException on Mac OS 10.3.4
    ... I know for a fact that the port is not in use. ... This only affects Java ... This seems to affect all Java programs, not just the ones I wrote. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • authenticate
    ... I have a strange problem i hope someone in here has an answear to. ... It seems to me that the problem is related to authenticating users. ... application since the server (hosting the applications the users in domain2 ... So port 135 is opened and voila, ...
  • Odd Problem with RS232 Port read: Changing 0x0D (CR) to 0x0A (LF)
    ... I have a strange problem, and I hope someone can give me some ideas. ... I'm writing a program with a serial interface (RS232 for now, ... Here is what I'm doing to set up the port: ... bool UARTInterface::SetupPort ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)