Re: FreeBSD && java

caleb wrote:
Hi everyone,
This is my first post to this group as I have just started using java with BSD. The first question I have is what is considered 'off-topic' here? I will be mostly asking for help regarding java and unix/bsd. Are there any FreeBSD programmers in this group? Or should I join comp.lang.java.programmer?

I look forward to getting to know you all :)

caleb

Archive-name: computer-lang/java/help/minifaq
Posting-Frequency: every 4 days

Before posting read Jon Skeet's "How to get answers on the comp.lang.java.* newsgroups" at http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/java/newsgroups.html

Java FAQs and advice:
- Java FAQ (Andrew Thompson) http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
including his list of other FAQs http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#faq
- Java/Javascript/Powerbuilder HOWTO (Real Gagnon)
http://www.rgagnon.com/howto.html
- Java Glossary (Roedy Green) http://www.mindprod.com/jgloss.html
- jGuru jFAQs (John Zukowski) http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/
- Focus on Java (John Zukowski) http://java.about.com/
- Java Q&A (David Reilly) http://www.davidreilly.com/jcb/faq/
- Java GUI FAQ (Thomas Weidenfeller) http://www.physci.org/guifaq.jsp

comp.lang.java.help     Set-up problems, catch-all first aid.
    According to its charter, this unmoderated group is for immediate help
    on any Java problem, especially when the source of the difficulty is
    hard to pin down in terms of topics treated on other groups.
        This is the appropriate group for end-users, programmers and
    administrators who are having difficulty installing a system capable of
    running Java applets or programs.  It is also the right group for
    people trying to check their understanding of something in the
    language, or to troubleshoot something simple.

comp.lang.java.programmer Programming in the Java language.
An unmoderated group for discussion of Java as a programming language.
Specific example topics may include:
o types, classes, interfaces, and other language concepts
o the syntax and grammar of Java
o threaded programming in Java - sychronisation, monitors, etc.
o possible language extensions (as opposed to API extensions).
The original charter said that discussion explicitly should not include
API features that are not built into the Java language and gave examples
like networking and the AWT. These days AWT belongs in clj.gui, and
networking (and many other APIs) are often discussed in clj.programmer.

Do not post binary classfiles or long source listings on any of these
groups. Instead, the post should reference a WWW or FTP site (short source
snippets to demonstrate a particular point or problem are fine).  For some
problems you might consider posting a SSCCE (Short, Self Contained, Correct
(Compilable), Example); see http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp

Don't post on topics that have their own groups, such as:
comp.lang.java.3d The Java 3D API
comp.lang.java.advocacy Arguments about X versus Y, for various Java X and Y
comp.lang.java.beans JavaBeans and similar component frameworks
comp.lang.java.corba Common Object Request Broker Architecture and Java
comp.lang.java.databases Using databases from Java
comp.lang.java.gui Java graphical user interface design and construction
comp.lang.java.machine Java virtual machines, like JVM and KVM
comp.lang.java.security Using Java securely
comp.lang.java.softwaretools Tools for developing/maintaining Java programs
Don't cross-post between these groups and c.l.j.programmer or .help -- it just
wastes the time of people reading the general groups.

Don't post about JavaScript; it's a different language.  See
comp.lang.javascript instead.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.servebeer.com/JHackerAppManager

-William E. Taylor,  Regular Guy (1952-)

  • Re: Original Macbook OS died. now no space on HD but also no way to rebuild?
    ... It is very easy to learn to write a program using .net or java. ... learning any language takes longer than a paragraph. ... programming environment is much easier to learn compared to modern ... could compile Java at all. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Static vs Dynamic
    ... (Java has too much noise in its source code, ... lot to ask and is typical in a typed language supporting polymorphism. ... > developers can easily learn the Java programming language; ... > obivous bugs slip through and b) in many cases, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Hobby languages
    ... Because 100 out of 100 Java "programmers" have no idea what the ... English with someone whose native language is Swahili, ... of programming and requiring bloated resources. ... COBOL IS commonly found on the PCs of people who are interested in COBOL. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: why is "self" used in OO-Python?
    ... and worse this has spread from Java into other ... by whatever happens to be the first OO language they learn". ... If the first programming language (or the ... I have no objection to teaching Java in a CS curriculum. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Public disclosure of discovered vulnerabilities
    ... I spoke of Java; ... > necessary when programming in Java. ... > it is every single programmer who wants to use the language securely. ... this is what we call the "mental model" problem in aerospace. ...
    (sci.crypt)