JVM Install "succeeds" but Java doesn't work in browsers.

I am having major problems getting the latest version of Java to work
on my wife's system, It apparently installs fine, either direct from
the site or off-line The test applet reports "you are using an old
version of Java techno" (the message is cut off here at the edge of
the applet's bounding box), but then goes on to report the correct,
current, version and revision number. The usual animation doesn't
appear in the test applet, and other java-requiring applets (games
etc) don't work. Symptoms are identical in IE 6.0 and a newly
installed copy of FireFox 1.5, so I don't think it's browser-related.

I am running Windows XP Home with all the latest patches and installed
the JVM with no other programs running and Norton Internet Security
disabled, rebooting and clearing the browsers' caches before and after
installation. Does anyone have any clues or suggestions?

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

  • cant get JAVA to behave with my XP pro
    ... SHORT VERSION, Java 1.5 won't load and work with my XP pro OS, IE 6. ... I help some friends occasionally that need minor tune ups, software installs, ... proxy error message, changed the TIF cache settings back to 2000MB from 80, ... Add/Remove programs, so I presume that they were installed (correctly?I don't ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: ActiveX problems
    ... However the second update posted on the website may not be ... reveals that Java is nothing to do with it. ... I guess it's not impossible that compilation on a machine without ... missing for newer installs or for installs with alternative libraries ...
  • Re: Installing from a jar filr
    ... runtime before running Arachnophilia. ... Open a command console ... Arachnophilia program directory, type "java -jar Arachnophilia.jar" ... usual place for things the administrator of the machine installs and ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • [opensuse] Firefox - Weather Page Wont Work, I need to Solve This.
    ... Currently on multiple 11.0 installs, both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, the ... following weather RADAR page will not work. ... but I know that is because there is no java configured ... openSuSE bug or a mozilla bug, but I do know opening an novell.bugzilla report ...
    (SuSE)
  • Jave freezes my PC running Windows XP SP2-tried all I could think of. Thanks for any help
    ... panel and select Java Plug in and try to make some changes. ... I have SUN 1.4.2 Java installed and there are also 2 entries in VIEW ... as well as On Demand installs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)