Newbie question on identifiers for basic catch statements

Hello--I am new to Java and having trouble with the identifiers that
are expected in catch statments. My compiler is telling me that it
doesn't recognize the symbols that I give in catch statements, but I
can't find a site online that explains how the identiers work. I am
trying to do really basic stuff ex.
Try{
do stuff
}
Catch (Some Exception Identifier){
do other stuff
}

but again, I can't get the compiler to take all of the identifiers that
I give. I know the identifiers must come from the inherited class, but
that isn't helping me much.

The error that the compiler gives looks like this
Program6.java:25: cannot find symbol
symbol : class InputMismatchException
location: class QuestionTwoShot
} catch (InputMismatchException e) {
^
1 error

Any help (or even better, explanation) would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

  • Re: C scope and struct definitions
    ... calling them "identifiers" is a false generalization. ... and they follow the same scope rules. ... a single run of the compiler). ... Many languages do have nested functions. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: IMPLICIT NONE (F2k8+/-)
    ... Assuming that the truncation to a 6-character name ... > I've never used a Fortran compiler that truncated names. ... > If the compiler's limit was six characters, ... > F95 standard allows identifiers to have 31 or fewer ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: C scope and struct definitions
    ... and calling them "identifiers" is a false generalization. ... You find it awkward that the same scope rules apply to identifers ... within a single run of the compiler). ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: The _ char in variable names
    ... >cannot use any identifiers with a leading single underscore followed ... underscore reservation, i.e., almost all the new identifiers added by c99 ... collision. ... and the code the compiler produces) it may not be exposed until the program ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: String and Char handling limitations:
    ... I took that Pascal course 20 some years ago I had a slightly related problem with enumerated types and identifiers. ... are used just between you and the compiler. ... Learning Pascal (or whatever your first language is) is so much more ... If you are learning by yourself, I'm sure you can do it, but progress will be somewhat slower. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.borland)