Re: how does windows find java.exe?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:09:41 -0700, Martin
<EdkIlhKpnBbr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

How does windows find java.exe if I type "java" in the command line
and if java.exe is not in the path?

I know that there is a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment but I guess windows does not know
about it.

There is a way of putting any file no matter where it is, on the path
by creating a registry entry. See

However, that is not how Sun did it.

Further, they did not add the JRE path to the execution path.

Here is the trick. They place a spare copy of java.exe in

which IS on the path. It starts up, looks in the registry to figure
out the official java.exe. then starts that.

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Relevant Pages

  • Re: hijack this startup - can someone tell me the hack i am experienci
    ... | *Registry key not found* ... | *Registry value not found* ... | Autorun entries from Registry: ... | Intel82801 Audio Driver Install Service: ...
  • Help with Outlook profile script
    ... I would like to have a script that checks if the correct Outlook profile is configured in the users profile. ... Outlook profiles are configured in the following registry key: ...
  • Re: Cannot Delete Registry Key
    ... > to the permissions on the bad key, ... >> [[Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. ... >> take ownership of the registry key by the current owner. ... >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
  • Re: Risks in Disabling Macro Security
    ... The trusted location is set up by creating a registry key at the location: ... our company security setup rejects EMails with .mdb ...
  • RE: RWW: version=1 msgtype=status status=-3 message=Password Inco
    ... Create a new folder on the desktop and move all the plug-ins in the ... Remove registry keys. ... Find and delete the following registry key. ... please capture a screen shot of the error so ...