Re: how does windows find java.exe?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:09:41 -0700, Martin
<EdkIlhKpnBbr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

How does windows find java.exe if I type "java" in the command line
and if java.exe is not in the path?

I know that there is a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment but I guess windows does not know
about it.

There is a way of putting any file no matter where it is, on the path
by creating a registry entry. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html

However, that is not how Sun did it.

Further, they did not add the JRE path to the execution path.

Here is the trick. They place a spare copy of java.exe in
C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

which IS on the path. It starts up, looks in the registry to figure
out the official java.exe. then starts that.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary