Re: how does windows find java.exe?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:09:41 -0700, Martin
<EdkIlhKpnBbr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

How does windows find java.exe if I type "java" in the command line
and if java.exe is not in the path?

I know that there is a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment but I guess windows does not know
about it.

There is a way of putting any file no matter where it is, on the path
by creating a registry entry. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html

However, that is not how Sun did it.

Further, they did not add the JRE path to the execution path.

Here is the trick. They place a spare copy of java.exe in
C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

which IS on the path. It starts up, looks in the registry to figure
out the official java.exe. then starts that.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

  • Re: hijack this startup - can someone tell me the hack i am experienci
    ... | *Registry key not found* ... | *Registry value not found* ... | Autorun entries from Registry: ... | Intel82801 Audio Driver Install Service: ...
  • Help with Outlook profile script
    ... I would like to have a script that checks if the correct Outlook profile is configured in the users profile. ... Outlook profiles are configured in the following registry key: ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Cannot Delete Registry Key
    ... > to the permissions on the bad key, ... >> [[Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. ... >> take ownership of the registry key by the current owner. ... >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
  • Re: Risks in Disabling Macro Security
    ... The trusted location is set up by creating a registry key at the location: ... our company security setup rejects EMails with .mdb ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Cannot install new printer drivers
    ... What is the registry key that Process Monitor reported ACCESS DENIED for? ... The only ACCESS DENIED message I saw that had anything to do with the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)