java update

Everything I can find says you have to be root to install/upgrade JRE
on Linux. Is that true?

I want to get up to 1.5

java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2)
Classic VM (build 1.4.2, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM build cxia32142ifx-20090728
(SR13 FP1) (JIT enabled: jitc))

  • path setting in Linux for java3d
    ... I am new in Linux although I wrote Java codes under windows for some ... 2.become root: ... demo/java3d/HelloUniverse$ java HelloUniverse ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • shredder for linux
    ... i have just downloaded Shredder for linux i ... had extract the tar.gz file and as root i try to launch executable ... executable" i have installed jre and the command "java" is in the ...
    (rec.games.chess.computer)
  • Re: Password
    ... I ran a quick search on Ask with the phrase "linux lost ... Have you ever forgotten your root password? ... Fortunately, it wasn't a boot password, so I did have ... (although "mount" may say it is). ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: OT: Spiegel-Online bei Heise
    ... Aber, wie schon gesagt, so simpel ist die Hardware heute ja nicht mehr, daß es mal eben mit ein paar inb/outb-Befehlen getan ist. ... Java ist in gewissen Bereichen etabliert, ... Wer Word/Excel/Powerpoint haben will, braucht Windows. ... und ein Linux für DSP von Freescale ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)