Is Java the right language for me?

I have some experience with programming in languages such as C++,
Fortran, VBA, Matlab, etc. but i've never created a standalone
executable program. I would like to do this and have a modern looking
GUI. I've been teaching myself Java because that seems to be what
people are recommending for my needs, but i'm confused. How do Java
applications become .exe programs? It seems like most windows
applications are created using Visual Basic. Can someone advise me on
what language might be best to start learning to create standalone,
broadly compatible application (possibly web applications as well)?
Thanks!

  • Re: GoTo in Java
    ... large graphics applications or gaming or simulation software; ... code maintaining shop if you do this.) ... Scripting languages are programming languages; ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Python from Wise Guys Viewpoint
    ... > Lisp machine that offered no protection whatsoever for the system ... Their standalone user base wasn't ... even in languages that try hard to put a straight jacket ... programming language, and it must be a simple one" floating around as ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python from Wise Guys Viewpoint
    ... > Lisp machine that offered no protection whatsoever for the system ... Their standalone user base wasn't ... even in languages that try hard to put a straight jacket ... programming language, and it must be a simple one" floating around as ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: success-path-only software
    ... Programming Languages ... The primary function of a programming language is ... Supports business applications that require the Supports sophisticated ... a prototype to show sample report formats and ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • Re: How do I combine enumerated constants?
    ... I'm still kicking it with 2005 (I don't use new programming ... languages and new applications in general, I like letting other people ...