Re: Is Java the right language for me?

Well, C is a compiled language, so I'd be surprised if you had not got an
executable at the end.
Whatever you do though, and if you want your software to be used by blind
folk, I'd check out what libraries and conventions you need to address in
any chosen language to achieve accessability. Obviously, it depends on what
operating system you want your software to run in, and what sort of
application you want to write. Some languages will lend themselves to
certain uses, whether compiled or otherwise.

Brian

Email: briang1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"JL" <jlongton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have some experience with programming in languages such as C++,
Fortran, VBA, Matlab, etc. but i've never created a standalone
executable program. I would like to do this and have a modern looking
GUI. I've been teaching myself Java because that seems to be what
people are recommending for my needs, but i'm confused. How do Java
applications become .exe programs? It seems like most windows
applications are created using Visual Basic. Can someone advise me on
what language might be best to start learning to create standalone,
broadly compatible application (possibly web applications as well)?
Thanks!

.