Re: Is Java the right language for me?

Well, C is a compiled language, so I'd be surprised if you had not got an
executable at the end.
Whatever you do though, and if you want your software to be used by blind
folk, I'd check out what libraries and conventions you need to address in
any chosen language to achieve accessability. Obviously, it depends on what
operating system you want your software to run in, and what sort of
application you want to write. Some languages will lend themselves to
certain uses, whether compiled or otherwise.

Brian

Email: briang1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"JL" <jlongton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have some experience with programming in languages such as C++,
Fortran, VBA, Matlab, etc. but i've never created a standalone
executable program. I would like to do this and have a modern looking
GUI. I've been teaching myself Java because that seems to be what
people are recommending for my needs, but i'm confused. How do Java
applications become .exe programs? It seems like most windows
applications are created using Visual Basic. Can someone advise me on
what language might be best to start learning to create standalone,
broadly compatible application (possibly web applications as well)?
Thanks!

  • Re: porting from C++Builder
    ... the java was growing and, obviously, microsoft initially ... they made their own programming language, in this case, c#, ... inhouse programming for data entry forms, fat client applications, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc)
  • Re: Joel hammers the final nail into Lisps coffin
    ... programmer with extensive experience in the language. ... If you have been writing applications in Java for 10 years and just learned ... Lisp you are probably better off sticking with Java. ... I can't say there have been zero successes with Lisp (Naughty Dog, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Java ready for number crunching?
    ... Java more suited for this domain are usually greeted with horror, ... I really don't think it would take much in terms of language changes to really make Java a good language for these applications. ... A reasonable implementation of 'complex' numbers and some decent multi-dimensional array classes would probably be sufficient to make quite a few look again. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: C#, .NET, VB.NET, Vista, etc. So What is the Point?
    ... MS decided that they could one up the promotion of Java by using the ... it was a better way to write Mac applications, ... Delphi, for the most part), even C++ with the STL. ... I did not start using Java because I thought the language was better, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Toward smarter Layouts
    ... > language that vendors are obliged to support. ... "green screen" CRUD applications in Java. ... Writing a simple "Customer Maintenance" application is basically traumatic. ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)