Application is slow when connected through LAN, fast via dial up - why?

From: Gad krosner (krosner_at_Excite.com)
Date: 02/19/04

Date: 19 Feb 2004 05:13:52 -0800

Hi There!

I have something weird. It's an application running under Webstart
(client), connected to a (Win2K) server running (among other things)
Apache Tomcat. When a computer is connected through the LAN, it takes
about 15 seconds after pushing an application button, until the screen
takes an action (except for the hourglass, which comes right away).
During this wait period, the server's CPU doesn't show any impact,
except for a second or two, towards the end of the wait period, when
it goes from about 15% to 40%

When the client computer is disconnected from the LAN and makes a
dial-up connection, the application takes between 2 to 5 seconds to
act upon a user's keystroke. This has been experienced with a variety
of (client) computers.

The weirdest of all is perhaps, when the application is tun for the
first time, and all the JAR files get copied over, it takes a few
seconds for the download over LAN, and about 20 minutes of dial-up,
what one would expect.

Can anyone offer any clues, or what to look into?

Thanks in advance,

G.

Relevant Pages

  • IE Problem or SpyWare Problem or neither ?
    ... Up until recently I had a perfectly good functioning LAN & internet ... connection between my 2 PCs. ... access the internet via LAN from the Client PC!! ...
  • IP Address Problem or SpyWare?
    ... Up until recently I had a perfectly good functioning LAN & internet ... connection between my 2 PCs. ... access the internet via LAN from the Client PC!! ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Strange Pattern Resulting from SQLsnake Probes
    ... Provides DHCP and RRAS/NAT Internet access to the LAN (file sharing, Client ... It's also a file server. ... smtp, pop, nntp, ntp, and echo outgoing connection requests. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Client cannot access net through lan with ICS enabled
    ... The LAN TCP/IP settings on the host are IP: ... The Dialup connection has ICS enabled, ... client Internet explorer has no check boxes checked under LAN settings, ...
  • Re: Terminal Service on 2KServer Odd connection problem.
    ... There might be a black hole router between your client and the TS, ... of the permanent TS CAL to the client (on first connection, ... permanent license). ... > lan I can't connect. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients)