Re: loggedIn, same session, thru several pages

From: Mohamad Fazli (fuzz_at_streamyx.com)
Date: 05/05/04

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 18:49:21 +0800

Well..

I assume u talking about using Java Server Pages..

Well the easiest is to use the session variables
<%=session.getAttribute("myname")%>

Just google off for session.setAttribute or session.getAttribute.. should be
good enuff to help you.

Few things to to consider, session will last typically across the same
thread of the explorer, i,e. if you press Ctrl-N, most likely the session
will carry across the new window...

In order to reset the session... use session.invalidate

"D E" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote in message
> What are some good methods of letting a user's "identity" (?session?) be
> known across several webpages. For example, a user logs in, and several
> pages say "Welcome back KNOWN USER" if he successfully logged in... Is it
as
> simple as checking a cookie and setting a variable loggedIn=TRUE or are
> there more durable methods not prone to possible security problems? THANKS

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Session Variables - why arent novice developers warned?
    ... The user selects a Customer in a browser and enters an order. ... and the same session variables. ... You can research session state very thoroughly without finding any ... with the use of Session Variables? ...
  • Re: Session Variables - why arent novice developers warned?
    ... very dangerous outcome which may result when the session variables are used ... Developers want the session to be preserved when a new browser ... You can research session state very thoroughly without finding any ...
  • Re: Postback erases web control text
    ... I'm using Windows XP and my version of IIS is 5.1. ... This login process is stored entorely in the session. ... As far as caching is concerned, I haven't specified anything to specifically ... are you wrapping each attempt to get/set the Session variables ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Hiding variables passed via URL
    ... well you can view cookies as well. ... What else constitutes a 'session variable' apart from POST or GET data ... But then you don't understand that session variables aren't POST or GET ... You could coordinate PHP with Javascript. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: In Need Of Serious Help
    ... for a client and am using session variables to pass a variable ... the session variable is not getting passed between pages and nothing ... normal normal bold 15px verdana; ... CompanyName FROM customers ORDER BY CompanyName")); ...
    (comp.lang.php)