updating a programs code prior to running

From: steve (me_at_me.com)
Date: 05/29/04

Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:23:23 +0800

Hi,

I have a program that started life as a simple application, I then added the
ability for version checking.

on OSX it was simple:
1. version check
2. download code updates with an extension ".new
3. rename the old program files ".old"
4. rename ".new" to current program.

the interesting thing was that on OSX i could actually re-name the java .jar
files i was running from inside the java file.

but on windows It broke with " file in use"

(quite why & how OSX allows files in use to be renamed is another matter)

so i ended up writing a small loader class that did the downloading prior to
launching the "dynamic" app

the question is how do other people update the loader app, if it needs
modification, or do all java apps suffer from this problem.

I.E eclipse for example.

thanks.

steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
    ... I really only have one small nit with OSX, ... Why rename it and why not put it where it belongs! ... matters is what an app can do, ... utility folder within the application folder? ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: OT - help request for the Dark Side
    ... particular app is doing. ... there isn't anything in OSX, ... know loads of people who would say they were familiar with Windows (or ... asked for a password to install it. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Ping: Hackintoshers.
    ... Command P Print ... in an app under OS X would be bollocked and rightly so. ... Windows: Install software and get the option for a menu and / ... OSX as some apps do have it within the app and other don't. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Honestly Curious
    ... bought a Mac Mini for my mother, for the simple reason that she will ... Windows users, and not very experienced with OSX. ... The programs all work as a team, so if you have a picture in one app, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Ping: Hackintoshers.
    ... easier than /putting/ a shortcut to an app on the OSX desktop ... Right click on app - select -'make alias' ... working it's not as neat as the Windows solution). ... One thing - no way you could access a Mac app from a Windows partition to my knowledge. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)