Re: Magic number in Boolean

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:51:00 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
<hendrik_maryns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

Ok, but then why not 1 and 2, they are also both prime. Of course I see
the use of taking some bigger number, but still the question remains:
why some primes around 1200? Because accidentally the implementor knew
them, then?

Consider what happens when you create a composite hashCode either by
multiplication, addition, xor, shift/or etc .

My guess is those numbers help the boolean effect from getting lost.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

  • Re: AMDs 3DNow! imprecise
    ... and I succeeded when using only the regular instructions, ... primes than sieve of Eratosthenes is the standard method (much faster ... sure that approximate result is _always_ bigger than true result. ... Simple way to to multiply approximate a/b by a number slightly ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Bad Guy/Trader thabigwolf (John)
    ... been the bigger man and just not said anything. ...  But I lost my cool with all ... the bullshit. ... Actually there is one more funny story. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Tier System - for analysts
    ... " That girly man you are describing have won 7 grand slams and lost far ... less matches than that bigger and faster fellow, ... That winner of 7 Gand Slams has lost 4 times in a row to the bigger, ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Linux 2.6.23-rc4
    ... Ok, I lost it, and let two weeks pass between -rc releases. ... As a result, -rc4 is a bit bigger than it would/should have been, but ... it's not a huge loss. ... git shortlog v2.6.23-rc3..v2.6.23-rc4 ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Proof of the twin prime conjecture!
    ... required by eatch formula! ... Suppose that the primes that satisfy the condition are finite (p and p ... But the wright part of the equation diverges as k gets bigger! ... If we suppose that there is a finite number of primes that sutisfy the ...
    (sci.math)