Re: java and OS

Mr. X. wrote:
I just want to get a refference to a kind of a table, that describe populations of software and platform (Intel based or Mac based), please.

What type of reference groups would you like to learn about? Usage on supercomputers, servers, business computers, or home computers? In the last two categories, the dominant OS is Windows XP, followed by Windows Vista, with a combined Windows total of somewhere in the mid-to-upper 90s. Mac comes in second, followed by *nix computers. [*]

The first category is dominated by *nix computers in either the upper 80s or the low 90s, while the second category is the one I know the least about. I believe, however, that Windows (all combined) is not a majority of these computers.

[*] By *nix I refer to pretty much anything not Windows or Mac. Predominant versions are Linux (itself a broad category) and Solaris. The most common thread connection *nix is that they are POSIX-compliant.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2
    ... >*nix way) you still would whine because they are also working on extending ... >are concerned that you will have to learn Windows, ... >I recall nimda and I don't recall my Windows machines getting infected even ... >BeOS isn't going to cause a great desire to learn computers. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: MS Politics
    ... It also adds a whole slew of media center capabilities. ... a tiny percentage of Windows users have ever installed it. ... and have powerful computers and high-bandwidth ... Turn Mac on. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: More malicious bots than ever before
    ... dropout controlled thousands of compromised PCs, or "bots," that helped ... If people don't secure their computers, ... The reason there are so many Windows computers hacked is because ... People in the Mac community who tout OS X as some kind of invulnerable ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Office Mac to Windows Compatibility Issues
    ... I'm not supporting the beta version--but when people using Windows ask this question, ... Mac and Win versions of Word from WinWord 97 to MacWord 2004 all use the same file format, so that's not the basic problem. ... When you choose an encoding format, it is helpful to understand how Macintosh files differ from files created on other computers. ... However, if you are sending something more complex, such as a program, to another Macintosh computer, you must choose an encoding format that preserves all the data. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Mac Power PCs - 4 years old and outdated
    ... loss of PPC support in CS5, the PPC Macs will no longer be supported. ... Mac would have been using a PowerBook G4. ... worked on the same computers. ... Do you have a similar time line for Windows? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)