Re: Voice over IP

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:54:38 -0800 (PST),
laurascomputer4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

as a rookie with java, i would like to ask for some help with starting
to create a basic java software to allow voice over ip

You need several pieces.

1. Something that will capture microphone output in real time.

2. Something that will play a short sound file in real time, without
pause between the next.

3. Something to compress/decompress the voice. It might even pay to
do FFTs and compress that.

4. transport layer, most likely UDP Datagrams. If you lose a packet,
you'd better hear silence than have a echo delay introduced that you
never make up.

5. Some sort of server phone book and a scheme to make connections and
warn subscribers of incoming calls.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/udp.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jmf.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/fft.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servletwomb.html
--
Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com

  • Re: paltalk group
    ... issues in real time and voice would be active as well...let me know and ... oh and you can use paltalk free for voice conferences ... But Skype has a 'skypecast' that allows many call-ins. ...
    (rec.crafts.brewing)
  • Re: Radio 4 "London" programmes
    ... Oh, after checking the schedule, I mean Melvyn Bragg. ...  His voice ... seems to get some real experts on the subjects into the studio. ... both morning and evening broadcasts in real time, but still seem to have missed ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Phase Vocoder on MATLAB Simulink
    ... (Coverting Male Voice to Female Voice in REAL Time through Phase Vocoder) ... I have to implement the Phase Vocoder in real time. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Voice over IP
    ... to create a basic java software to allow voice over ip. ... up and running I can suggest an introductory walk through text by ... Using Asterisk, AsteriskJava, and SIP". ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: 300baud FSK over GSM
    ... >I too was wondering how band-width economical speech synthesed ... >transmission is - not necessarily for real time. ... Just to forward voice ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)