Re: Who uses Java?

Jon Harrop wrote:
Arne Vajhøj wrote:
I don't think so.

I would expect countries with many small companies to use a bit less
Java than countries with fewer big companies though.

I see. So Java is used predominantly in large companies for database work
and (guessing) intranet web services. Presumably that might be anything
from software to run vets practices to airline ticket reservation systems
and so forth?

Java is used for many things. But that type of business app is
a very common usage of Java.

Not just intranet - also internet.

The term "database work" is misleading in the sense that databases are
used for almost any persisting. Java, .NET, PHP, Python or whatever -
databases are usually involved in some way.

Desktop GUI apps are made (the keywords are: AWT, Swing and SWT), but
web GUI's are more used.

What are the relevant keywords for web GUIs?

Servlet, JSP, Struts, JSF, JSR168.

Arne

  • Re: simple web programming options
    ... And that I have seen from CGI/FCGI, Java ... PHP seems to provide the best API of ready-to-use ... doing CGIs specifically and scripted access to databases. ... I recommend PHP highest for language. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: CLOS and databases
    ... > socks off the Java people, so I really want to do this the Right Way. ... Current O/R mapping products include more or ... support for caching; ... support for all major databases (with the possibility to let you write ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Data access concepts
    ... when you do SQL coding in the old ... Most O/R-mapping tools forces you to write both database DML, java ... miss most things that are good with relational databases. ... What I am missing is a object model on top of JDBC that reduces the ...
    (comp.lang.java.databases)
  • Re: Why Javas math expression (power) is so inconvenient and error prone?
    ... millions of programmers writing business applications that involve ... transactions, data sources, databases, and many small data entities. ... Java is very unsuitable for those applications because it does not ... Only for CODASYL databases and via a preprocessor which made these statements look like standard COBOL. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Why use Java Stored Procedures....
    ... Would you rather have a Java programmer migrating Java stored ... a different database or have a PL/SQL programmer migrating PL/SQL ... I'm not asking which databases can interact with or be used by Java. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)