Re: Create String from char - so difficult??

Roedy Green wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:57:04 -0700 (PDT), column.column@xxxxxxxxx

How to create new String having one char. Is it really only way to
create new char array that has length one and using it create string?

Surely somebody has had it up to here with the irregularity of Java
conversion functions and written a wrapper class to convert any
primitive to any other (plus strings).

like this

double Cvt.todouble( String s );
float Cvt.tofloat ( int i );
Float Cvt.toFloat ( long l );

I understand why you did it, but the lack of camel case is jarring (no pun intended). Besides, with autoboxing you don't need two versions:

float f = Cvt.toFloat( int i );
Float fc = Cvt.toFloat( int i );

Then again,

float f = i;

works just fine.

As for String conversions, I don't understand what you mean by the "irregularity" at all. The String class has valueOf() overloads for all the primitive types. The primitive type wrapper classes except Character have valueOf( String ) overloads. It's hard to be more regular than that, unless you insist on "remedying" the sole exception of Character, and I suspect that one is due to the special relationship between Strings and chars and the existence of String.charAt().

It's not worth running around Jericho's barn to wind up where I'm already standing.

--
Lew
.