Re: Calendar Issue

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:04:55 +0000, RedGrittyBrick wrote:

Lew wrote:
It is also bad practice to include the type of a variable in its name.

At a guess Lew is talking about naming conventions, of which the so-
called Hungarian Notation beloved by Microsoft C programmers is the most
obnoxious, e.g

unsigned int *puiAccountTotal;

the points being that:
- it makes the variable name less readable
- if you change the variable's data type you must also change its
name, thus forcing a search&destroy mission across the entire
program.

In my example changing the variable to a signed long requires it to be
renamed to lAccountTotal.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

  • Re: Self-compiling .java file
    ... programmers. ... It's been done for other languages but I ... a .java file that compiles itself, ... martin@ | Martin Gregorie ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Teaching kids to program (in Java)
    ... that beginning programmers need to do. ... martin@ | Martin Gregorie ... | Essex, UK ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Purely historic question: VT200 text graphic programming
    ... In fact, many, many Unix programmers knew about curses (and still ... do) and very few VMS programmers ever did. ... IIRC all the Wyse terminals had that. ... martin@ | Martin Gregorie ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Teaching kids to program (in Java)
    ... On 5/6/2012 8:06 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: ... that beginning programmers need to do. ... but java.io has always struck me as ... needlessly quirky. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Advice to buy Microsoft Shares
    ... there are almost 10.000 programmers at microsoft. ... The other employees do not count when calculating the 'being murdered' risk as ... That amounts to a murder rate of roughly 3.2 per ...
    (alt.politics)