Re: Java Indexing- Historical question

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:08:18 +0200, Gilbert
<Gilbert.Ostelthwaite@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

I was asked this weekend by one of our trainee programmers, why for a list with a single entry does list.size() report '1' but to access it you need to use list.get(0). Now it's a convention that I have accepted for years without really thinking about it - and he has a point, it is slightly counter-intuitive. It's not always been like this, I remember when I started programming in the mid 19<mumbles> on IBM gear using RPG & RPGII, that array indexing started at 1.

there are some advantages to starting with 0. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/array.html#GOTCHAS
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

We are almost certainly going to miss our [global warming] deadline.
We cannot get the 10 lost years back, and by the time a new global agreement to
replace the Kyoto accord is negotiated and put into effect, there will probably
not be enough time left to stop the warming short of the point where we must not
go. ~ Gwynne Dyer
.