Re: Why do more and more Linux distries default OpenJDK?

Christian wrote:
anyone got an idea why more and more Linux distries default to OpenJDK?

It seems to be problematic as this OpenJDK does not implement the full
java API .. lots of methods and fields (I think I have seen a statistic
that showed it was more than 2%) are missing. (i.e. Pattern.quote() and
many more)

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
I have OpenJDK 6 installed and it clearly has Pattern.quote:

It might be missing sun.* or com.sun.* packages, but if you're relying
on those, you're having portability problems anyways.

I have operated my Linux box for weeks at A time with OpenJDK 6 as the
default Java, running NetBeans, my own Java programs, applets and
whatnot, with nary a compatibility issue. I don't know what the OP is
on about.

Christian wrote:
I though normal sun [sic] jre [sic] would be compatible with linux [sic] licence?

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
The licensing issues of Sun's old JRE's did not classify as free per
many standards; many Linux distributions tend to be rather evangelical
in their quest for freedom (the best example is the Debian/Mozilla dispute).

Also, even if Linuces did include a Sun JRE, you'd still have to
install a JDK, and likely the inbuilt one would be a version or so
behind what you want so you'd have to upgrade anyway.

I have OpenJDK, a couple of different versions of Sun's JDK and an IBM
JDK installed. The question of what comes installed in the base Linux
is rather moot.

(There is a corner case where some Java EE apps developed for
WebSphere and an IBM JRE expect certain JARs to be in the extensions
directory, causing trouble if one runs them under a Sun JRE, but
that's not a Java problem so much as a configuration problem.)

My experience is that OpenJDK is an entirely satisfactory
implementation.

--
Lew

  • Re: 7.0 wishlist?
    ... It IS Sun Java. ... changes to OpenJDK beyond pure bugfixes, if even those. ... Your incorrect statements about me going unopposed, and people then believing them because they don't hear any objections or alternative sides of the story. ... People formulate and share opinions about other people. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Time zone or other timing issue in OpenJDK under 10.04
    ... from Sun Java to OpenJDK. ... It turns out that Java has indeed had ... default-jdk-doc - Standard Java or Java compatible Development Kit ... openjdk-6-demo - Java runtime based on OpenJDK ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Is there any non free thing in Ubuntu Kernel
    ... implementation) was the basis for a backwards branch to create OpenJDK 6. ... I don't know how much more "full java" you can get. ... With Java 7 I see 3 cores handling the load, ... Ergo, the then Sun Java 6 worked, and OpenJDK lacked what made Sun Java work. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: "Cannot open file sRGB.pf" when using "fop" to generate PDF
    ... from the noisy environs of ottawa airport, ... java version "1.7.0_03" ... OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM ... There are 3 choices for the alternative java. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Why do more and more Linux distries default OpenJDK?
    ... OpenJDK is the future of Java. ... JDK 7 will be based off of the OpenJDK 7 tree. ... static boolean access$200(int, int, int); ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)