Re: Syntax colourisation for Java

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 02:43:26 -0700 (PDT), Ross <rossclement@xxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone have any opinions on the best colourisation scheme for
Java syntax?

I am biased. since I wrote, it, but I use JDisplay.
see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#JDISPLAY

The advantages:

1. You can render three different ways:
Applet, inline, or iframe.

2. uses CSS

3. works on snippets with syntax errors.

4. does some cleverer things than usual e.g. bold where a symbol is
defined, variable size matching () {}, grouping numerics in 3s or 4s
with subtle colour differences,

5. has parsers for HTML, SQL etc, not just Java.

6. it has been extended by a third party to colourise code snippets
in Javadoc.

7. For large listings, with Applet rendering, it is more efficient
than HTML since it transmits a compressed binary token stream.

The disadvantages:

1. complicated.

2. non-military use licence.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

When you can?t find a bug, you are probably looking in the wrong place. When you can?t find your glasses, you don?t keep scanning the same spot because you are convinced that is where you left them.
~ Roedy
.