Re: Windows priorities with runtime.exec

Daniel Pitts <newsgroup.spamfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

On 6/7/2010 12:41 PM, Ian Shef wrote:
Hakan<H.L@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

<snip>
In order to run a SAS job from a Java program, we are using a simple
runtime.getruntime.exec({"C:/Program
Files/sas.exe","myloc/myfile.sas"}).
That works great, but my boss wants to have it run with a set lower
priority so that it doesn't interrupt other tasks on the server. How
do I do that?
<snip>

Your example has bad capitalization and will not compile. However...

I have not tried this, but I am going to guess that the solution
involves the "start" command. If you have Windows XP, you might try:

Runtime.getRuntime.exec({"C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe", "/C", "START",
"/BELOWNORMAL", "C:\\Program Files\\sas.exe", "myloc/myfile.sas"}) ;

I have turned some forward slashes into double backslashes.
Backslashes are needed to meet the expectations of the START command,
and doubling is required for Java strings.

I don't have the right environment to try this, but perhaps it is close
enough to give someone an idea. Perhaps there is an easier way.

Good luck!

Sounds reasonable, although I would suggest wrapping the whole thing in
a BAT file, to separate the "priority" of the running app from the
concern of the runner app.

Even better than my solution. I like it!

  • Re: Windows priorities with runtime.exec
    ... I have turned some forward slashes into double backslashes. ... needed to meet the expectations of the START command, ... Sounds reasonable, although I would suggest wrapping the whole thing in a BAT file, to separate the "priority" of the running app from the concern of the runner app. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • exec or spawning a tcl program using winXP START
    ... fine if I launch the program from a command line e.g. ... However when I try and put this into a spawn command I run into ... while executing ... Any help on changing the Base Priority of a spawned process from ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: BLAME BUSH.
    ... command. ... Getting the job done is priority number one for a leader. ... >>> Bush is not particularly good in emergencies. ... >> Emergencies are really the main priority of the President. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Windows 10
    ... The Windows kernel is even worse for real-time. ... heard of priority inversion and how to deal with it. ... Plus, if you are running as root, if you put one thread in the time ... Windows can do lots of command line things. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • nice bandwidth usage
    ... There exists the "nice" command which schedules processes with lower CPU ... priority, and the "ionice" command to give processes lower I/O priority. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)