Re: Windows priorities with runtime.exec

Daniel Pitts <newsgroup.spamfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

On 6/7/2010 12:41 PM, Ian Shef wrote:
Hakan<H.L@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

<snip>
In order to run a SAS job from a Java program, we are using a simple
runtime.getruntime.exec({"C:/Program
Files/sas.exe","myloc/myfile.sas"}).
That works great, but my boss wants to have it run with a set lower
priority so that it doesn't interrupt other tasks on the server. How
do I do that?
<snip>

Your example has bad capitalization and will not compile. However...

I have not tried this, but I am going to guess that the solution
involves the "start" command. If you have Windows XP, you might try:

Runtime.getRuntime.exec({"C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe", "/C", "START",
"/BELOWNORMAL", "C:\\Program Files\\sas.exe", "myloc/myfile.sas"}) ;

I have turned some forward slashes into double backslashes.
Backslashes are needed to meet the expectations of the START command,
and doubling is required for Java strings.

I don't have the right environment to try this, but perhaps it is close
enough to give someone an idea. Perhaps there is an easier way.

Good luck!

Sounds reasonable, although I would suggest wrapping the whole thing in
a BAT file, to separate the "priority" of the running app from the
concern of the runner app.

Even better than my solution. I like it!

  • Re: Windows priorities with runtime.exec
    ... I have turned some forward slashes into double backslashes. ... needed to meet the expectations of the START command, ... Sounds reasonable, although I would suggest wrapping the whole thing in a BAT file, to separate the "priority" of the running app from the concern of the runner app. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • exec or spawning a tcl program using winXP START
    ... fine if I launch the program from a command line e.g. ... However when I try and put this into a spawn command I run into ... while executing ... Any help on changing the Base Priority of a spawned process from ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: BLAME BUSH.
    ... command. ... Getting the job done is priority number one for a leader. ... >>> Bush is not particularly good in emergencies. ... >> Emergencies are really the main priority of the President. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • nice bandwidth usage
    ... There exists the "nice" command which schedules processes with lower CPU ... priority, and the "ionice" command to give processes lower I/O priority. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: vms base priority watch
    ... rights to do this early in the morning to get their jobs completed, ... accounting would tell you who might have issued a command? ... I can't think of a way to determine who used privilege to override normal priority assignments. ... If the work is not getting done in the time available, you can try throwing resources at it. ...
    (comp.os.vms)