Re: Stupid eclipse/android question

On Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:40:37 AM UTC+1, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
On 28-02-2011 16:37, Lew wrote:
On Feb 28, 3:50 pm, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<dirk....@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 28/02/2011 20:42, Stefan Ram wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<dirk....@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
On 28/02/2011 20:29, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
Please don't tell me you pressed the red button.
The one that said "Do Not Press"?

You acknowledge that Licensed Software is not designed
or intended for use in the design, construction,
operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/j2re-1_4_2_02-license.html

Shit.
Back to Basic for my home nuke then.

Seriously, you're citing the Java 1.4 license? Who uses Java 1.4?

Java 6 has the same restriction if you use Oracle's version.

The question is harder to answer for OpenJDK. The Sun binary license
for OpenJDK has the no-nukes clause but the GPL does not. The binary
license does not mention Oracle.

I don't think they can have the clause for OpenJDK.

From the definition of open source:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

"The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
a specific field of endeavor."

I think that makes an exclude for nuclear-power-plants incompatible.

But Oracle's license does not prohibit use in nuclear power plants, it just warns you that the software is not designed for such a use (i.e. if you do use it and it fails, Oracle is not accountable).

  • Re: Stupid eclipse/android question
    ... or intended for use in the design, construction, ... license does not mention Oracle. ... But Oracle's license does not prohibit use in nuclear power plants, it just warns you that the software is not designed for such a use. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Stupid eclipse/android question
    ... operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. ... The question is harder to answer for OpenJDK. ... The Sun binary license ... license does not mention Oracle. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • =?windows-1252?Q?Nuclear_Debate_Brews=3A_Is_Iran_Designing_Warheads=3F_Be?= =?windows-1252?Q
    ... Nuclear Debate Brews: Is Iran Designing Warheads? ... its clandestine efforts to design a nuclear ... The Germans say they believe that the weapons work was never halted. ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Re: OT Political
    ... to renewable sources (and more nuclear power) goes as well as I hope ... of course I support federal oversight, of off-shore drilling, drilling ... My firm was routinely involved in design ... byproducts of nuclear fission were not released into the environment. ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: OT Political
    ... number of human lives lost in the mining of coal this year will likely ... to renewable sources (and more nuclear power) goes as well as I hope ... My firm was routinely involved in design ... byproducts of nuclear fission were not released into the environment. ...
    (rec.music.opera)