Re: Java’s Future Lies In Mobile?

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote:
In short, it’s a format of 1001 uses.

What, nobody asked “is that binary or decimal”?

Geeks aren’t what they used to be...

The world would have been a better place if we had 12 fingers instead of 10

Nonsense. In medieval times people used base 12 and they had 10 fingers. the Babylonians used base 60 and they had 10 fingers. There's no necessary connection between fingers and bases.

I can count to 1023 (decimal) on my fingers. I have ten fingers also.

I prefer to limit the range to 0-255 partly for cultural reasons and partly to gain condition/check and overflow/carry digits.

You could make a video of a computer using a pair of hands for each byte. That'd be a video of a 1001 extras.

You'd have to hit up the bridge clubs and golf courses to find foursomes for 32-bit computing (plus eight spare digits per word).

Maybe we could combine all those spare digits to create a low-capacity thumb drive.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  • Re: OT Car culture may be changing
    ... I chased that budget Renoooo rally car down...has its own video and alarming mortality stats.I put that on with the Pikes Pak Audi. ... I had a chemistry teacher who had two fingers of his right hand ... He used to wave them in front of him for emphasis, ... no longer drinks nor turns steel. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: A new video
    ... Watch the video again. ... And taking a video of your teenage students and ... hyper-extending her 'I' to reach the first string....that little close up ... fingers or otherwise poor conformations. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: FAST fingerpicking - single note lines - video request
    ... hopefully get around to posting a video soon. ... I, too, move around quite a bit when playing, but I don't think I can ... classical technique just to start moving my right hand in a more well ... using just my fingers. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: the performance of x86 processor and DSP
    ... fingers the decimal system naturally emerges. ... The babylonians apparently used the thumb on one hand ... ought to be quite a useful tools, if used as an abacus. ... My awful attempt at a joke was based on that the bones ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: A new video
    ... ROFL ... Who are you to tell the quality of a piece of music...? ... Watch the video again. ... fingers or otherwise poor conformations. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)