Re: Java’s Future Lies In Mobile?

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote:
In short, it’s a format of 1001 uses.

What, nobody asked “is that binary or decimal”?

Geeks aren’t what they used to be...

The world would have been a better place if we had 12 fingers instead of 10

Nonsense. In medieval times people used base 12 and they had 10 fingers. the Babylonians used base 60 and they had 10 fingers. There's no necessary connection between fingers and bases.

I can count to 1023 (decimal) on my fingers. I have ten fingers also.

I prefer to limit the range to 0-255 partly for cultural reasons and partly to gain condition/check and overflow/carry digits.

You could make a video of a computer using a pair of hands for each byte. That'd be a video of a 1001 extras.

You'd have to hit up the bridge clubs and golf courses to find foursomes for 32-bit computing (plus eight spare digits per word).

Maybe we could combine all those spare digits to create a low-capacity thumb drive.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.