Re: Java’s Future Lies In Mobile?

On 03/14/2011 03:53 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
I would not expect Moore's law broken i 2015.

They can still shrink a little bit, number of cores will
increase, size of caches will increase (the cost of a cache
miss is equivalent to a lot of instruction using cache), smarter
CPU's (maybe even more CISCy), fundamental new technologies
(even though I suspect they will not be generally available
as soon as 2015).

Moore's Law states simply that the *number of transistors* on a chip doubles every 2 years (implicitly referring to roughly same-size chips, so perhaps transistor density doubling would be a more precise wording). Improving ISAs would certainly help in terms of performance, but most of the research I've seen recently has focused on helping parallelization, not improving serial code execution.

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth