Re: Java’s Future Lies In Mobile?

On 03/14/2011 03:53 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
I would not expect Moore's law broken i 2015.

They can still shrink a little bit, number of cores will
increase, size of caches will increase (the cost of a cache
miss is equivalent to a lot of instruction using cache), smarter
CPU's (maybe even more CISCy), fundamental new technologies
(even though I suspect they will not be generally available
as soon as 2015).

Moore's Law states simply that the *number of transistors* on a chip doubles every 2 years (implicitly referring to roughly same-size chips, so perhaps transistor density doubling would be a more precise wording). Improving ISAs would certainly help in terms of performance, but most of the research I've seen recently has focused on helping parallelization, not improving serial code execution.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
.