Re: Immutable Datastructures with good Sharing

On 11/5/2011 4:33 PM, Jan Burse wrote:
Arne Vajhøj schrieb:
But will the time you spend investigating this really cost less
than what it cost to buy 4 GB more RAM and just clone the objects
you want to store as history.

I do this already. But I have an application case where the
cloning not only incures more memory use but also more runtime.

How do you know that the clone solution use more CPU than
the solution you are looking for now??

When you clone you need to go through the whole array and copy
each element, this takes time. When you share, you don't need
to spend this time.

But you will need to do other things instead.

Currently the runtime is too high. So if you show me a shop
where I can buy CPU time as I can buy RAM, then this could be a
solution.

I believe there are many shops that will sell you
faster CPU's for the existing computers or
more CPU's for other computers.

Arne

  • Re: Need advice w/ table design
    ... If you're storing computers: ... RAM (do you want to store data on how many chips you have? ... > I want to define business objects and their properties in a database. ...
  • Re: The world in 20 years
    ... off to even lower labor cost places like Vietnam etc instead again. ... health care for kids with stuff like asthma and ADHD etc. ... powerful, with RAM of about 1 TB, and disk drives of 1 PB. ... chains) and the computers came with either 8 MB or 16 MB ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: how much space does Win Mobile 2003 take?
    ... have an identically set up registry to store vital configuration data. ... uses a harddisk to store data, and RAM for executing ... Typical PPC: uses ROM to store the OS, and RAM to load parts of the OS, ... of the Windows Mobile operating system are loaded into RAM when the PPC ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Downright Criminal RAM
    ... However as I was pulling apart the clone a simple test occurred to me to ... The power supply and the RAM. ... Besides that the power supply was reading erratic voltages. ... Computer powersupplies generally have weak negative rails. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: MP criticises ID card opposition
    ... But the required documentation is ... There are plenty of Mac apps with no documentation at all. ... Not all 'trusted computers' will be trusted by the CIA, ... And now I've got a computer with 2.5GB RAM and 550GB nominal HD ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)