Re: Agile Project Management

On 2/12/2012 12:06 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
On 2/12/2012 12:00 PM, Lew wrote:
Arved Sandstrom wrote:
I don't think the OP meant ~800 person *project*.

Once we start getting into these examples I'd like to see a clear
understanding of what numbers are involved in what roles on what pieces.
I can think of examples from my own experience where a software
development team of maybe a dozen or fifteen folks (developers, team
lead, technical architect, PM, QA/QC types etc) fell into the following
slots:

1. as the only software development team in a small (<30 people) product
company;

2. as one of several similar sized teams in a ~100 person IT shop in a
small/mid-sized (several thousand people) services organization. Each
team working independently on their own IT projects;

3. As the only team working on a specific product in a large (10,000+
persons) IT company. Dozens upon dozens of other teams, many larger,
some smaller. But this team is insular and works on one thing.

In these 3 examples mentioning the size of the organization (~25, ~2000,
~25000) is irrelevant.

You're absolutely right, though, Patricia: for an 800-person *project*
you sure would want clean interfaces. Myself I don't think that adopting
agile is either going to help you or hinder you in achieving that good
architecture; either you know what you're doing or you don't.

If you have structured an 800-person project in this sense, not
decomposed
into 5- to 12-person autonomous projects, then either you don't know what
you're doing or you don't.

If would put it the exact opposite if a 800 person project is split
into 80 autonomous projects of 10 persons, then the management it
totally clueless.

Imagine some autonomous web UI projects choosing:
- PHP
- Struts
- JSF
and some autonomous persistence projects choosing:
- Oracle with SP's
- DB2 with Hibernate

Arne

  • Re: Agile Project Management
    ... as the only software development team in a small product ... As the only team working on a specific product in a large (10,000+ ... Dozens upon dozens of other teams, many larger, ... into 5- to 12-person autonomous projects, then either you don't know what ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Agile Project Management
    ... as the only software development team in a small product ... small/mid-sized services organization. ... As the only team working on a specific product in a large (10,000+ ... Dozens upon dozens of other teams, many larger, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Agile Project Management
    ... as the only software development team in a small product ... Dozens upon dozens of other teams, many larger, ... into 5- to 12-person autonomous projects, then either you don't know what ... and those smaller groups must have autonomy. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)