Re: Problem with XML-RPC, possibly with SOAP too

From: Li Ma (li_ma_at_email.com)
Date: 01/14/04

Date: 14 Jan 2004 07:47:15 -0800

Yes, pretty positive. You can try write a little program to constantly
call server. after a few hundred or thousand calls, the call will
fail.

Use netstat to check used connections.

Maybe it is a XML-RPC problem. I'm using Apache XML-RPC for Java 1.1.

Anyone has tried on SOAP?

-Li

chris <chris@kiffer.eunet.be> wrote in message news:<bu2voc$hom$1@reader10.wxs.nl>...
> Li Ma wrote:
>
> > Just want to share my experience on XML-RPC.
> >
> > We were working on a messaging middleware. We were using XML-RPC as
> > communication protocol amoing client apps and server. Client could be
> > written by Java, C/C++, VB, Delphi on both Windows or Unix platforms.
> > Seams like XML-RPC( similiar to SOAP as you know) was a good choice
> > for us. But while the project went on, I encountered some critical
> > problems:
> >
> > First of all, performance problem. Messages must be going accross
> > network in XML format, the encoding/decoding/transmition overhead made
> > the communcation slower than normal JMS/MQ/CORBA based systems.
> >
> > The second problem was XML-RPC is built upon HTTP which is stateless
> > communication protocol and every time a remote call is invoked, a new
> > socket connection must be established. That slows down the speed a lot
> > too.
> >
> > The third problem was since a new connection is needed on each call,
> > socket was not released right away( at least on Windows ), therefore
> > if messages are sent too frequently(more than a few hundreds per
> > second), no more socket connection can be made, and communication just
> > failed.
>
> Are you sure about the second and third problems? HTTP 1.1 allows sockets
> to be re-used, and most recent implementations support this. I'm playing
> with an XML-RPC application right now, and I don't see a ServerSocket being
> created and destroyed for every remote call.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem with XML-RPC, possibly with SOAP too
    ... >> communication protocol amoing client apps and server. ... >> The third problem was since a new connection is needed on each call, ... >> second), no more socket connection can be made, and communication just ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Problem with XML-RPC, possibly with SOAP too
    ... We were using XML-RPC as ... > communication protocol amoing client apps and server. ... > second), no more socket connection can be made, and communication just ...
    (comp.lang.java)
  • Re: Problem with XML-RPC, possibly with SOAP too
    ... We were using XML-RPC as ... > communication protocol amoing client apps and server. ... > second), no more socket connection can be made, and communication just ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Sharing a socket connection
    ... The socket connection is bidirectional with requests sent from a client ... followed by corresponding responses from the server. ... Do the standard libraries include a mutex (I have a vague ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: TCP receive too many small packets
    ... I have a client / server application that communicates with each other ... thru a socket connection. ... Is something wrong with sending small TCP packets? ...