Re: Mars Rover Controlled By Java

From: Joe \ (joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP)
Date: 01/23/04

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:18:20 -0800

"Tony Hill" <> wrote in message <>...

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:32:55 GMT, "Rod Davison"
> <> wrote:
> >Actually, academic debate aside, the success of the rover so far is a
> >welcome shot in the arm for the space program, especially after the
> >shuttle tragedy and previous Mars mission failures. In the cold harsh
> >light of the pragmatic dawn, if the rover works to spec, then using java
> >was a good decision, if not, then it was a poor decision. To quote the
> >scribe: all else is commentary.
> Or perhaps more to the point, not using Java was a good decision!
> hint: in case you missed it, the rover doesn't use any Java code, the
> Java is all for manipulating the data received back from the Rover.

The rover was programmed with Visual Basic 6.0, but Windows Update
zapped the MSVBVM60.DLL run-time. Obviously, all VB applications
should already have been trashed, redesigned, and rewritten in .NyET!

Joe Foster <>  DC8s in Spaace: <>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!