Re: Why is java.exe accessing the internet?

From: Alun Harford (alunharford_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:04:08 +0100

    "John" <Please@reply.to.group.com> wrote in message
    news:OJRfc.26276$2Z6.1135251@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am pretty new to java and have installed tomcat on my PC (XP Home) along
    > with a few other java tools. I've noticed when I start tomcat ZoneAlarm
    > asks permission for java.exe to access the internet, then if java.exe can
    be
    > a server. This is obviously tomcat so I say yes.
    >
    > But occassionally I will get a message asking if java.exe can access the
    > internet or act as a server and I don't know why! Is there anyway to tell
    > what is causing this request?
    >
    > And does anybody know a way to set ZoneAlarm to always allow tomcat these
    > permissions without allowing them for all java apps?

    There's a solution for that: get a decent firewall. :-)

    Alun Harford

    • Re: Hox to match Linux PID to tomcat thread
      ... ID of the Tomcat process. ... If you're running a non-antique Linux version there's no ... be better with a Java Webserver using multiplexing and NIO. ... Of course the best Java Web server in the world won't ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Tomcat Help
      ... I'm new to Java and this isn't my idea, so don't beat me up on this... ... Tomcat at the same time. ... The server is running Windows 2003 and each instance must run as a ... service on the server under a different Windows User Account. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: tomcat with java 1.5 -1.6
      ... On my server, ... running eclipse with java 1.5.0. ... You can upgrade your server so that Tomcat runs a 1.6 JVM. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Novice Tomcat design pattern question
      ... I have a heavy duty java server application that is collecting ... I like to add the ability to communicate with the server application ... so Tomcat seems like a good "best practice" choice. ... communication between the main app and Tomcat needs to go through RMI, ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: OT? Java application servers.
      ... Tomcat is not a full Java EE container, ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)