Re: Using Visual J# in a first programming course.

Thank you Mark for your comments. I also support a C# course in the course
offerings.
From your reply, I suspect that you think most Java developers spend most
of their time writing applications without the use of an IDE with GUI
support.
If this is true, what is your basis ? ... Just curious!

I appreciate your comments on using an editor, javac and java.
I on the otherhand appreciate the power and felxibility of IDEs. To each his
own.

Again, thanks for your input.
Bob
"Mark Rafn" <dagon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm considering using VJ# in a first programming course in addition to or
in
place of JBuilder and the J2SE. Given install problems other students have
had, VJ# seems like a nice alternative.

Don't call it Java if you do so, though - be clear to your students
that VJ# is a different language than Java, and you're using it because
they're too dumb to install the real thing.

Actually, you're probably better off teaching C# if you want to show off
Microsoft developer technologies. It's pretty good, well-supported, and
has
LOTS of documentation. J# is loved by nobody and has no reason to exist.

For me, I'd rather teach or learn Java, but I wouldn't bother with
JBuilder or
any other IDE. If you're teaching intro programming, teach command-line
tools. Edit with whatever editor they like, compile with javac, run with
java.

A lot depends on what you want the course to teach. If it's "show some
people
some cool, easy, stuff to do with computers that's kind of like
programming",
then C# is almost certainly what you want. If it's "prepare for life as a
grunt developer who doesn't really understand what programming is", then
Java
or C# are fine, depending on what job you want them to seek.

If it's "learn data structures, computational complexity, and how to write
and debug computer programs", then Java or C# are good choices (as would
be
Python, C++, or any modern OO language in wide use), but don't use a
development environment. Use a command-line compiler, and give
assignments
that can be done using whatever editing tools the students like.

1. Most of my students are using WinXP.
2. VJ#.Net Express is free and has an outstanding GUI.
3. Code written in VJ#, via the Mono Project could always be ported to
other
platforms.

Sure. All of these apply to C# as well, and it's a language that may
actually
be useful to students. Or to Java, for that matter. J# has the
advantages of
neither.

4. Java compiler source seems close to moving into Open Source - I think!

Even if it does, the Java trademark will likely be retained by Sun, and
only
applicable to implementations of the JLS. Which .Net isn't.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@xxxxxxxxx <http://www.dagon.net/>

  • Re: Java-Rauschen (war: Re: Getter & Setter)
    ... also stimmst du mir zu dass Java ohne IDE schlecht nutzbar ist? ... Nun mal abgesehen dass man APIs nicht mehr lernt, sondern sich einfach auf Codecompletion verlässt und dabei Hilfsklassen vollkommen ignoriert, ... Oder wenn der Grad des Rauschen so unterschiedlich ist? ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)
  • Re: Teaching Java, teaching what?
    ... When teaching Java with Swing, ... that teaching servlets would be more ... introduce students to important real-world stuff: ... Can this be done in 30 hours, especially for programming neophytes? ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Java-Rauschen (war: Re: Getter & Setter)
    ... welche Perspektive hatten denn die Leute, die Java entworfen haben? ... Aber gehe ich recht in der Annahme dass du dann sagst, dass Java erst durch eine IDE "richtig gut" wird?... ... Ich sehe es allerdings für eine textbasierte Programmiersprache als Nachteil an, wenn sie aufgrund der "Umständlichkeit" der Sprache ohne IDE kaum nutzbar ist. ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)
  • Re: Using lisp to generate .net business applications
    ... Programming in Java is extremely painful, ... IDE provides. ... IDEs can add plugins in real time, lot of applications written in Java ... This is precisely the problem of Lisp macros. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Java-Rauschen (war: Re: Getter & Setter)
    ... aber bei HTML ist nicht so sehr der Source als viel mehr das was im Browser angezeigt wird wichtig. ... Ich finde, eine interessantere Frage ist, warum man ueberhaupt gegen eine IDE ist. ... Nur hängt das mit einer bestimmten Menge an Code zusammen und die erreicht man bei Java schneller als bei zum Beispiel Ruby. ... Ich sehe es allerdings für eine textbasierte Programmiersprache als Nachteil an, wenn sie aufgrund der "Umständlichkeit" der Sprache ohne IDE kaum nutzbar ist. ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)