Re: Declining Popularity of Java?

In article <1sqdo3196vhl7h2a9h98c07jtm9a97dph1@xxxxxxx>, Phister <3123123482340293823@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:54:22 -0600, In the Middle of the Pack
<anon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Javinator wrote:

Has anyone else been sensing a widespread decline in the popularity of
Java?
[snip]

I don't know about changes, but when I look on job boards, I'm seeing more
ads for ".net" programmers than for Java.

One college that uses Java as its main language for coursework looks to
hire ".net" programmers.

I think a lot of that has to do with the declining relevance of Linux.
For maybe 12 or 13 years now I've been hearing about how Linux was
going to take over. It has always had it's small niche following but
never quite overtook Microsoft, and it seems to be on the retreat
these days.

Java's primary appeal was the cross platform thing. Who care's when
nobody is using any other platform?

I disagree. Linux has done very well in the server market. What do you think
is powering Google? Linux is a niche player in the desktop market.

In the early days, Java's primary appeal was its cross platform capability.
But starting in the late 90's/2000, its ability to do server work lead to
Java's growth. It still does guite well there IMO.

Windows is getting better, but if you have an application that needs to be up
24x7, you want a 'Nix server. Period. And Java will serve you well.

That's my off topic 2 cents.

Eric

  • Re: Java5 and FreeBSD
    ... I made my way to Sun's java page, and then to the newest Java2 ... Yet no FreeBSD Java? ... The linux one will probably work ... > Server Platform Edition 8 is available for the following platforms: ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: OT: Spiegel-Online bei Heise
    ... Aber, wie schon gesagt, so simpel ist die Hardware heute ja nicht mehr, daß es mal eben mit ein paar inb/outb-Befehlen getan ist. ... Java ist in gewissen Bereichen etabliert, ... Wer Word/Excel/Powerpoint haben will, braucht Windows. ... und ein Linux für DSP von Freescale ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Java5 and FreeBSD
    ... I made my way to Sun's java page, and then to the newest Java2 ... Yet no FreeBSD Java? ... Server Platform Edition 8 is available for the following platforms: ... Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Help me!! Why java is so popular
    ... AIX and Linux currently for Java, C++, C and Perl development. ... The DARK BOWELS of documentation. ... Than you have a full source code of every single ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Which JVM to use under Windows?
    ... I do not have time to get into specifics at the moment. ... Why on earth would you be coding Java using an obsolete ... Microsoft's environment from the day one, ... Linux, and what I found is that they are clunky. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)