Re: Why flet wins, was Re: scheme seems neater

From: Pascal Costanza (costanza_at_web.de)
Date: 04/08/04

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:55:47 +0200

Dave Roberts wrote:

> My gut feeling is that you can probably avoid the pathelogical case in CL a
> bit more naturally than in Scheme, but that it really doesn't limit
> anything in practice.

That's indeed an important point. Guys, you should all realize that
these things are really only minor details compared to the overall
essential concepts in Lisp and Scheme, i.e. basically metacircularity
and the resulting freedom to mold the language to your concrete needs at
hand. Scheme and Common Lisp just follow different fundamental design
principles, and if you happen to prefer either the one or the other,
there's nothing wrong in sticking with just one of them. Personally, I
prefer Common Lisp, because I generally think that its designers have
made more "right" decisions than Scheme, but I don't have any problem
imagining to use Scheme in a world in which Common Lisp wouldn't exist.

None of the differences between Scheme and Common Lisp restrict you in
similar fundamental ways like those of most other languages.

Pascal

--
1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
June 13 - Oslo, Norway - co-located with ECOOP 2004

Relevant Pages

  • Re: potential bug in REPL in newLISP-GS in newLISP v.10.0.1
    ... You suggested either Scheme or Common Lisp, ... standard for Scheme, R6RS, violates the spirit of Scheme (in ... On the other hand, Common Lisp is a Lisp-2 dialect of Lisp, and I had ... language, the inability of redefininig variables and functions already ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Never programmed before - want to learn
    ... I've been having a good look at the SICP book (I know it uses Scheme, ... I only want to learn as a hobbyist, so I 'd like a language thats fun as ... This was way before Common Lisp was ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: scheme seems neater
    ... And I have no reason to believe my ... If a language can help amateurs or ... while Scheme continues to mutate. ... the case is that Common Lisp as it stands is actually useful, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Scheme vs Common Lisp: war stories
    ... When you switch from programming in Common Lisp to programming in Scheme ... that could have worked just as well -- techniques that look almost exactly ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme
    ... dislike blatantly arguing with people over language choice. ... I think that if you can get over S-exps then Scheme and Common Lisp ... feel very like python. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)