Re: Bottom-Up Programming vs Application Frameworks.

From: Daniel Barlow (dan_at_telent.net)
Date: 10/02/04

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:59:07 +0100

cameron_ross@bestech.com (Cameron Ross) writes:

> Does anyone have opinions regarding how bottom-up programming relates
> to the development of application frameworks? Specifically, I'm
> looking for pros, cons, similarities, differences etc.

Bottom up programming is typically practiced by people who don't fully
understand the problem domain and are experimenting with the best
approach.

Framework creation is typically practiced by people who still don't
fully understand the problem domain, but have an unfortunate
combination of arrogance and lack of introspective ability, so fail to
realise that more exploration is needed.

OK, that's flamebait, but I'm sticking to it. If you show me a
useful framework I will counter by reclassifying it as a platform.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Domain examples of high-level logical languages
    ... I'm looking for examples particular to a specific problem domain (e.g. ... the drug industry, automotive industry) where a programming language ... has been configured as a framework for the user to describe their problem. ...
    (comp.lang.prolog)
  • Re: Bottom-Up Programming vs Application Frameworks.
    ... A framework is only useful when you have to do some things often. ... is some kind of packaging of the bottom-up exploratory programming phase. ... > understand the problem domain and are experimenting with the best ... > useful framework I will counter by reclassifying it as a platform. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Saving database data collects from few pages
    ... LINQ is about the following and take note on the word 'object'. ... encountered programming challenges. ... LINQ is a Microsoft .NET Framework component that adds native data ...
  • Re: T-SQL Break Out
    ... You may want to look at ADO.Net Entities Framework, ESQL, and LINQ-to-Entities, since you're a DBA, which I must say is fabulous technology. ... is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their interactions to design applications and computer programs. ... Microsoft LINQ defines a set of query operators that can be used to query, project and filter data in arrays, enumerable classes, XML, relational database, and third party data sources. ...
  • programming standards (was: Strings)
    ... All exception handling is done in the framework. ... for example, in PL/1, are very limited, so that the PL/1 modules behave correctly ... PL/1 was added as second language, then in 1993 ca. C as third language. ... absence of programming standards, which is a killer, if you have many hundred developers ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)