Re: Ugly loop

Joerg Hoehle <hoehle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>+ CL' format (but you probably dislike that beast as well).

No, imho something like format (or printf) is essential for any usable
general purpose programming language. This has even been realised by
C++ and Java programmers (where it isn't, or at least wasn't, provided
by the base language) and so third-party variations of printf have
appeared. This is one criticism I have with Standard ML (which I
otherwise like), and potentially with other strictly and compile-time
typed languages, where it is next to impossible to write a
format/printf-style function within the language proper because it
won't type-check. Thanks for the oaklisp hint, btw.

mkb.

  • Re: Just a bit of silliness
    ... it depends whether the compiler is confident that format[] ... is an immutable string literal. ... In my code I think 100% of printf calls use a string constant. ... the C language is really very simple in terms of it's ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Ugly loop
    ... >>+ CL' format (but you probably dislike that beast as well). ... imho something like format (or printf) is essential for any usable ... > general purpose programming language. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: "little trouble" with REAL(16) precision
    ... I've tried some alternatives, like using C language, and a similar ... In this case I found to be an error with the printf ... format and float headers. ... I'll try the INTEL support to fix the problem as far ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: ES format
    ... >> runtime format, even a runtime format that is trivially constant, not. ... You aren't allowed by Standard C to define any _external_ linkage ... In particular you certainly can define a 'static' function printf(), ... but otherwise it is part of the language and the compiler ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Question about jumps
    ... Except you've missed the point that writing numeric I/O routines isn't ... in the book "The C programming language" where they solve ... Markus doesn't know *what* he wants to learn. ... You seem to assume that everyone is saying "printf will work for you ...
    (alt.lang.asm)